Rotary club welcomes Lanarkshire breast cancer survivor for talk on charity work

A sort-hearted Airdrie most cancers survivor gave a “vastly informative” speak and presentation to Monklands Rotarians.

Sheila McNicol from Breast Most cancers Now was invited alongside to a Coatbridge, Airdrie and Monklands Rotary Membership assembly to focus on the organisation’s excellent work supporting folks with breast most cancers, and their households.

As Lanarkshire Dwell beforehand reported, Sheila, 63, gained her courageous 12-month battle with breast most cancers in 2016 and is now giving one thing again to others in an analogous place by working as a volunteer and visitor speaker for Breast Most cancers Care.

Obtain the Lanarkshire Dwell app right now

The Lanarkshire Dwell app is on the market to obtain now.

Get all of the information out of your space – in addition to options, leisure, sport and the most recent on Lanarkshire’s restoration from the coronavirus pandemic – straight to your fingertips, 24/7.

The free obtain options the most recent breaking information and unique tales, and permits you to customise your web page to the sections that matter most to you.

Head to the App Retailer and by no means miss a beat in Lanarkshire - iOS - Android

Sheila advised us: “I give talks for the charity and have spoken at golf golf equipment and afternoon teas .

“This lets me speak in regards to the charity, which is my ardour, and telling my story helps each me and others by displaying there's gentle on the finish of the tunnel.”

Former trainer Sheila had been troubled by ill-health since beginning, when she had benign tumours, and was given her devastating most cancers prognosis in January 2015, after discovering a lump on her breast a month earlier.

She stated: “I used to be advised I used to be going to lose my shoulder-length blonde hair, which I beloved and had labored so onerous to maintain. That’s when it actually hit me that this was severe.

“My therapy was horrendous and the chemotherapy meant I went completely off meals as I used to be very sick.

“I ultimately determined to go to a hairdresser to get my hair shaved off. I waited till the final minute however my hair was falling out in every single place.

“Most cancers actually does take every part from you and it was a really scary time.

“I hated my wig with a ardour at first and was terrified it could fall off however didn’t need to exit with out it.

“However after my therapy had completed I awoke one Saturday morning, when my hair was a couple of quarter of an inch lengthy, and stated to my companion Ross, ‘I’m not sporting my wig anymore’.

“Ross’ household owns Diamonds night time membership in Airdrie city centre and I went to the membership that night time with no wig on and I felt nice. It was the primary time I accepted me for who I'm.”

Responding to Sheila's visitor look, a spokesman for the Rotary membership stated: “Sheila gave an in-depth presentation describing breast most cancers in each women and men, highlighting the various indicators and the significance of self-checking.

“We’d wish to thank her very a lot for coming alongside and delivering a implausible speak.”

Go to right here for extra particulars on Breast Most cancers Now and its work.

* Do not miss the most recent headlines from round Lanarkshire. Signal as much as our newsletters right here.

And do you know Lanarkshire Dwell is on Fb? Head on over and provides us a like and share!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post