Commonwealth Games will be tough, but triathlete Grant Sheldon 'can mix it with the big boys'

Triathlete Grant Sheldon reckons he can combine it with one of the best on the planet on the 2022 Commonwealth Video games, as he goals to attain the head of his profession.

The Hamilton 27-year-old has certified for his third successive Video games, having began at Glasgow 2014 and continued via Gold Coast 2018, ending 14th and seventeenth, respectively.

Whereas Sheldon insists a very good efficiency will probably be sufficient for him this time round, he would love to return residence with a medal.

He stated: “Wanting on the guys, on paper, it’s positively the toughest discipline there was in triathlon, even with out the Brownlees [past champions Jonny and Alistair].

“A medal is all the time on the playing cards. It’s a deep discipline, nevertheless it’s not ridiculously deep, and I positively have the aptitude to combine it with one of the best – however we’ll simply want to attend and see.

“Successful a medal could be super-special, it’s what each athlete goals of – a medal at a significant Video games, and carrying a Saltire in your chest simply makes it extra-special.

“It will be the head of my profession.”

Sheldon says it’s humorous to suppose how way back it was when he made his Commonwealth Video games debut at Strathclyde Park, and says he'll do every thing he can to verify he’s prepared for this one on July 29.

He stated: “It feels fairly unusual to suppose that is my third Commonwealth Video games!

“It appears not so way back in any respect I used to be 19 years outdated and super-excited for my first one, and now I’ve hopefully received a bit extra expertise now, I do know what to anticipate, and hope to do in addition to I can.

Sheldon competed at the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games
Sheldon competed on the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Video games (Picture: DAILY RECORD)

“I believe the primary time it’s all the time a little bit of a circus and really straightforward to get a bit of bit too excited or too nervous.

“I can deal with it like some other race. Clearly it’s a bit of bit extra particular, representing Scotland, and being virtually at residence means there will probably be numerous family and friends there, nevertheless it’s nonetheless one other race.

“I do know what I must do, and to be skilled about it.

"The best way I take a look at it's that is my main purpose for the season, so I’ll goal to peak for that and different races have been stepping stones to that. I’ve possibly been in 90 per cent form, 95 per cent form, however for the Commonwealth Video games the goal is to be 100 per cent prepared.

“To be trustworthy, it has been a humorous few years for me.

“I’ve struggled with performances, nevertheless it’s coming collectively and I’m getting nearer to placing that efficiency collectively.

“If I can provide a very good efficiency I’ll be completely satisfied, and what meaning to me will most likely look totally different.

“I don’t actually know what that’s going to appear like.”

Sheldon is so targeted on that July 29 date that he’s not likely taking a look at different occasions.

Grant took part in his first Commonwealth Games on home soil at Strathclyde Park in 2014
Grant took half in his first Commonwealth Video games on residence soil at Strathclyde Park in 2014 (Picture: Day by day Report)

He added: “I’ve received six or seven weeks, so my plan is to be in France for many of that.

“I’ll practice onerous, I’ll get my head down.

“I’ve received a French Grand Prix race proper in the course of it, simply to remain race-ready, and break up coaching a bit of bit.

“It's a little bit of a prep race, nevertheless it’s just about head down from right here on in.”

Comply with Lanarkshire Stay Sport onTwitter through@LanLiveSport, like us onFbor discover us onInstagramfor the most recent sports activities information, photos and video.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post