Luis Diaz at Liverpool or Arsenal’s Gabriel Martinelli? It’s robust for Nathan Patterson to determine who was harder to play in opposition to between the Colombian and Brazilian internationals. However the alternative highlights one factor. The soar from Scottish Premiership to the English Premier League is even larger than he anticipated.
Patterson secured a record-breaking £16million switch from Rangers to Everton a yr in the past. After a difficult begin to life at Goodison, he’s now Frank Lampard’s first-pick at right-back. And he’s nonetheless solely 21. The Scot has been blown away by the usual of gamers in England’s high flight.
He believes the celebs down south are extra steadfast of their work, particularly off the pitch. That has prompted Patterson to work one-on-one with Everton’s sports activities science staff in a bid to succeed in the required stage. He obtained a shock taking part in in opposition to Martinelli however by way of the toughest opponent he has confronted within the Premier League to this point, he says it’s £37m man Diaz. Patterson managed to maintain him quiet in a 0-0 Merseyside derby draw again in September.
In an unique interview with MailSporton life on the Toffees, he stated: “The Premier League is a unique stage, even from taking part in at Rangers. There’s no less than 50,000 within the totally different stadiums each week so it’s nice to have that stress on you. Enjoying in opposition to high gamers each week is just going to profit me.
“It’s sensible as a result of at a younger age I’m attending to problem myself frequently. What a league that is. One of the best I’ve performed in opposition to to this point might be Diaz within the Liverpool recreation at Goodison. That was a correct check and I felt I did nicely. However actually, everybody down right here is fine quality. In pre-season I performed in opposition to Martinelli of Arsenal and he was so sharp. Everyone seems to be sharp on this league!
“They’re all athletes. That’s one of many large variations from the Scottish Premiership. It’s extra to do with what gamers do off the sector down right here. They’re perhaps a bit extra devoted. It’s only a totally different league and to be a part of it now could be unbelievable. I’m within the health club extra now, simply to attempt to sustain.
“I work with the Everton sports activities scientists on what I want to enhance. We're getting nearer to the place I need to be. I positively really feel I’ve improved even since leaving Rangers and I’ve matured as nicely residing by myself down right here. My household come down for residence video games however it has helped quite a bit that I've to do all the things for myself. It has given me extra possession and independence, versus counting on different individuals in Glasgow.”
At 21, Patterson has already labored below large names resembling Rafa Benitez, Steven Gerrard and Lampard. By way of tactical teaching and successful mentality, he might barely have hand-picked a greater trio of people to be taught from. All three have been totally different however in Gerrard and Lampard, there are additionally clear similarities. Proper now, it’s the latter he has to impress at Goodison as he bids to ascertain himself at Everton.
When Lampard subbed him at half-time on his Toffees debut in opposition to minnows Boreham Wooden in final season’s FA Cup, it was a check of Patterson’s psychological power. However a pre-season telephone name from his gaffer final summer season lifted his confidence and satisfied him they are often profitable collectively.

The Scotland worldwide stated: “At 21, I’ve had Benitez, Gerrard and Lampard as gaffers – which isn’t too dangerous! I’ve taken totally different bits from all of them. Gerrard and Lampard have executed all the things in soccer and also you realise simply how a lot dedication they’ve put in to succeed in the highest.
“They’re fairly related however clearly have small variations of their kinds. They’re each high guys and, above all the things else, winners. In addition they know what it’s prefer to be a top-level footballer which is a giant assist. They've a lot ardour for the sport. You'll be able to simply sense how a lot it means to them to win.
“The gaffer right here gave me my debut within the FA Cup, which was nice, however I used to be subbed at half-time. That was troublesome to take however the supervisor defined it wasn’t to do with my efficiency and I needed to settle for his choice. I didn’t actually get a chance after that however he referred to as me in the summertime to say it was going to be a giant season for me.
“So I knew I had an opportunity of beginning I labored actually laborious and I’ve managed to hit the bottom working. I began our first Premier League recreation this season and have hopefully impressed. I’m having fun with it now. The followers appear to have taken to me. They need younger gamers to do nicely and so they can see I’m a passionate particular person.
“You are feeling the fervour from them too. It’s just like Ibrox, you know the way a lot they need to win and that pushes you
on. There’s stress to carry out and win however they admire laborious work and I’ll all the time give 100 per cent. It’s a fantastic atmosphere to be in.”
Everton face one other battle to outlive within the Premier League this season. Regardless of a promising begin, they sit only a level above the relegation zone after 15 video games, with Wolves at residence up subsequent on Boxing Day.
However Patterson is adamant it’s a unique membership with Lampard on the helm in comparison with when he signed below Benitez a yr in the past. And he’s decided to play his half in pushing them up the desk. He stated: “It was troublesome for me initially. I needed to adapt to 2 managers shortly whereas nonetheless settling in.
“We have been in a tricky place once I arrived so I perceive why the supervisor didn’t need to throw in a younger man who’d by no means performed earlier than within the Premier League. It is a nice membership and everyone seems to be collectively now. The sensation within the dressing-room is quite a bit higher than final season once we have been in a tricky state of affairs.
“We’ve obtained contemporary faces in and the squad is quite a bit stronger. I need to play as a lot as I can this season, get assists and perhaps some targets as nicely. I’ve by no means had a full season of taking part in at Rangers or Everton so, if I can keep match, I need to get as many minutes and begins as potential. I’m bold. I need to play on the high stage. It’s each boy’s dream to play within the Champions League in the future. Everybody needs to be concerned in European soccer. And if I do nicely at Everton, I imagine we will stand up the desk.”
READ NEXT