Young Scots mum quit Starbucks job in 'leap of faith' move to become lawyer

A younger Scots mum, who give up her job as a Starbucks barista, is on her approach to pursuing her desires after profitable a prestigious scholarship.

Jo MacLeod, 27, left faculty at 17 and went on to work in various retail jobs earlier than taking over a full-time place at Starbucks. Nevertheless, in hopes of offering higher life alternatives for her daughter, the mum determined to take a leap of religion and quit her job to return to school.

Jo, initially from Stirling and now dwelling in Leith, gained a HND in authorized research and is at present a 3rd yr regulation undergraduate at Edinburgh Napier College.Edinburgh Reside reviews that she has now been granted the Kirk Murdoch Scholarship, which was arrange in reminiscence of the revered lawyer and enterprise chief, who was the Scotland chair of Pinsent Masons'.

The scholarship will give Jo monetary assist, profession mentoring, a summer time work placement, and she will be able to doubtlessly be awarded a authorized traineeship at Pinsent Masons on commencement from college.

The mum mentioned: "Once I left faculty at 17, I went to college to review sociology and politics but it surely wasn't for me. Since then I've labored in retail, however I realised I did not need to work in a espresso store endlessly and determined to get again into greater training.

"An enormous attraction for learning regulation was that there are such a lot of potential job routes when you graduate. It is all about offering one of the best life alternatives for my daughter and a authorized profession opens up so many alternatives."

Jo labored in various retail jobs after leaving faculty.

"I feel most individuals view felony regulation as fairly cool, however when you begin learning regulation you realise there are such a lot of different areas you can concentrate on, and I discovered my temporary introduction to company regulation actually thrilling and I feel I actually related with that.

"Pinsent Masons is such a well known respected regulation agency and being fortunate sufficient to be supplied the Kirk Murdoch Scholarship is a superb alternative which will likely be an amazing assist as I full my research."

Former College of Dundee regulation pupil Emilia Gordon, who was the Kirk Murdoch Scholar in 2020, has just lately been awarded a traineeship and can be a part of Pinsent Masons' London workplace.

Chair of Pinsent Masons in Scotland, Katharine Hardie, mentioned: "Kirk Murdoch championed gifted younger attorneys all through his personal profession and was at all times keen to offer of his time and encouragement to youthful colleagues to allow them to attain their potential.

"He can be delighted on the high quality of undergraduates who're benefitting from a scholarship in his identify and that his legacy is enabling college students to enter the career.

"Emilia Gordon is a advantageous instance of what will be achieved when potential is nourished and inspired, and I'm assured our newest scholar Jo will do her finest to observe the same path as she progresses in her authorized profession."

Do not miss the newest information from round Scotland and past - Signal as much as our every day publication right here.

READ MORE:

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post