How Aberdeen and Hibs reacted to VAR chaos as furious Lee Johnson blasts refs' 'new toy'

Livid Lee Johnson has demanded Scottish officers recover from the novelty of their "new toy" in VAR and let widespread sense take over. In the meantime even Jim Goodwin could not assist however admit the stopping and beginning distracted from a good-looking win for his facet.

Aberdeen ran out comfy 4-1 winners over Hibs on the evening however there was an air of the farcical concerning the first objective as a prolonged VAR delay awarded the Dons a penalty, with David Marshall ultimately adjudged to have introduced Duk down within the space. The previous Scotland keeper then saved Bojan Miovski's spot-kick, earlier than one other VAR stoppage ordered a retake - which the striker transformed.

That led to a snarky tweet from Hibs merely studying "your guess is pretty much as good as ours" however it set the tone for a snug Dons win from there. Miovski added one other and Ylber Ramadani put it out of sight, earlier than Mykola Kukharevych pulled one again - a objective that was initially dominated out for offside earlier than one other extended VAR examine. Leighton Clarkson made it 4 and put Aberdeen in third place, however the soccer itself did really feel like a sideshow on an evening the place all of the headlines had been dominated by the know-how.

Right here is a few of the finest post-match response from each camps.

Aberdeen

Aberdeen boss Goodwin wasn't for letting the VAR drama take the shine off a good-looking win for his group. However even the buzzing Pittodrie gaffer could not sidestep the very fact the know-how took over.

He mentioned: “I’m not going to brag and counsel we gave Hibs a going-over as a result of we didn’t. 4-1 flatters us a bit. I did really feel the primary objective was going to be large and it’s in all probability going to be an enormous speaking level, however the resolution has gone in our favour.

“VAR’s been in place everywhere in the world for years and the principle purpose is to get the massive calls proper as a rule. My concern concerning the first one was that I assumed Duk was offside (for the primary objective). I did really feel he acquired there first and that Marshall went to floor and there should have been contact. Fortunately it went for us, there’ll be events when it’ll go in opposition to us.

Jim Goodwin (Picture: SNS Group)

“I do know it’ll be the speaking level. The size of time it takes to get to a choice, however I don’t thoughts how lengthy it takes so long as it will get to the proper resolution.

“It was actually necessary that we acquired the three factors again of Hibs that they acquired at Easter Street. For us to beat Hearts and Hibs at residence the best way now we have is sensible.”

Hibs

Hibs' social media accounts gave a touch at a few of the fury inside the residence ranks at Easter Street as one tweet simply learn "your guess is pretty much as good as ours" after Miovski's second penalty try went in. And supervisor Johnson actually echoed these sentiments as he did not maintain again in his post-match media duties, demanding officers cease treating VAR like a brand new toy that must be performed with.

He mentioned: "We have been on the flawed facet of (VAR). The delay and the timing, particularly if you've acquired momentum, is irritating. In case you have a look at it sufficient instances, you will discover a strategy to say it is a penalty. That is how I see it, notably when it is slowed down, and it was ridiculous how lengthy it took.

"That proved to me it wasn't clear and apparent and at that time the sport's acquired to maneuver on. I believe there have been 9 further minutes performed within the first half. They have to be faster. I do know it is new however they have to be faster and brighter.

"If it is not clear and apparent, then it is not a penalty. However they wish to play the sport as a result of they have a brand new toy.

"I do know I am it from a place of bias however I do not suppose it is a penalty. I do not. I believe (Duk) is anticipating it; I believe he is happening early and David Marshall does not actually contact him along with his arms.

"If something, the momentum of Duk leaving his leg in after which Marshall coming throughout. However the ball's off the pitch by that time. In my view it wasn't a pen and it was irritating as a result of I might see it on the little display screen. I have not loved VAR up to now - even our objective got here from poor officiating."

Lee Johnson seems on disapprovingly (Picture: SNS Group)

He continued the rant on Sportsound as he added: "I did not really feel it was clear and apparent and it took an age to get by way of. If it takes that lengthy, it is in all probability not, however I suppose I'm bias in that sense.

"The one he is off his line you possibly can't actually argue with as that is the rule. I believe that (going to the monitor) goes with a subliminal bias as he is listening to he must examine a choice.

"In case you have a look at the numbers, for each 1,000 instances the ref has gone to the VAR display screen, perhaps 998 of these they've caught with the programme from inside."

READ NEXT

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post