Scots woman whose memory was wiped after brain tumour surgery 'didn't recognise own parents'

A lady instructed how all her childhood reminiscences have been worn out after life-saving surgical procedure to take away a mind tumour - and mentioned she did not even recognise her dad and mom.

Weronika Fafinska, 23, was identified with a grade 2 diffuse astrocytoma mind tumour in February 2014 when she was simply 14.

In 2012, Weronika went deaf in her proper ear and an MRI scan later revealed she had a mind tumour.

She had many of the tumour eliminated throughout surgical procedure in February 2014 - however when she got here spherical she did not even recognise her dad and mom who have been sitting at her bedside.

Weronika, from Edinburgh, mentioned: "Within the automobile going residence, I used to be sick 3 times as a result of, in my thoughts, I had by no means been in a automobile earlier than. I used to be so scared as a result of I did not know the place I used to be going.

"After we bought to the home, I did not recognise it. I did not recognise my bed room, and I did not like something in there, reminiscent of my garments.

"I did not know what something was. I did not know that an oven bought sizzling, or what a soccer was, however I used to be in a position to choose issues up, reminiscent of my maths timetables, immediately.

Weronika Fafinsk, has suffered permanent memory loss of her childhood up until she was 14 after undergoing life saving surgery to have a brain tumour removed.
Weronika Fafinsk, has suffered everlasting reminiscence lack of her childhood up till she was 14 after present process life saving surgical procedure to have a mind tumour eliminated.

"Once I returned to high school, there have been a whole lot of individuals and I did not know anybody, not even my closest pals."

Weronika's tumour remained secure for seven years however in March 2021, a scan revealed it had grown, however not sufficient for it to be operated on. Since then, scans in August 2021, March 2022, and August 2022 have all proven slight progress.

Weronika mentioned: "The uncertainty of the way it's rising and if the remedy will work has actually bought to me this 12 months.

"I am having to consider issues that ordinary 23-year-olds should not, reminiscent of is there any level in getting married, can I've children and, in that case, what's going to occur if I do not win in opposition to my tumour? So, it is loads to take care of proper now."

Weronika Fafinsk with her partner Cameron Somerville.
Weronika Fafinsk along with her companion Cameron Somerville.

In February 2022, Weronika took half in Mind Tumour Analysis's 10,000 steps a day problem to boost cash for the charity.

Now, she is taking up the 100 Squats or Star Jumps a Day in November Problem, to boost more cash and consciousness.

She mentioned: "I am actually wanting ahead to the problem however I have not been bodily energetic for a while so I'm nervous to see how I'll deal with it.

"I believe I will do a mixture of each squats and star jumps, to permit my physique to finish the complete problem for once I really feel like one train is an excessive amount of.

"I am struggling proper now to maintain myself occupied, so I made a decision to participate on this to have a distraction and to spice up my psychological well being in elevating the notice round mind tumours and remembering that there are charities like this which can be making an attempt to assist individuals like me.

"Mind Tumour Analysis provides me hope that individuals are looking for a treatment and that may hopefully assist save lives."

Matthew Worth, group improvement supervisor at Mind Tumour Analysis mentioned: "We're actually grateful to Weronika for participating within the 100 Squats or Star Jumps a Day in November Problem.

"It is solely with the help of individuals like her that we're in a position to progress our analysis into mind tumours and enhance the result for sufferers like Weronika who're compelled to combat this terrible illness.

"I might encourage anybody who is ready to participate within the problem to take action. Not solely is it enjoyable, nevertheless it will get you match while elevating very important funds to assist discover a treatment for mind tumours."

To donate to go to - fb.com/donate/2773406519458265/2773406549458262/

READ NEXT:

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post