A gran plans on travelling to Germany to fulfill the stranger who saved her life.
Carol Burnside, 71, paid tribute to the person who helped her have fun her “rebirth date” after he donated bone marrow. She needs to be launched to the donor who stepped in to assist when she fell ailing in 2018.
Carol, who lives within the Borders with husband Derek, stated: “I’ve lived 4 additional years and I’m wanting ahead to many extra. I’ve discovered to depend my blessings and recognize day by day. I wouldn’t be right here at the moment with out the transplant, so I’m grateful to my donor.
"I’m planning on going to Germany and thanking him personally.”
Carol thought she’d picked up a bug on a visit to see household in Vancouver, Canada, and Austin, Texas, within the US. Check confirmed she had a uncommon bone marrow most cancers, myelofibrosis.
Her solely probability for an excellent high quality of life was by means of a bone marrow donor however she wanted a robust match. One was recognized by means of the Anthony Nolan Stem Cell Register service which globally hyperlinks potential donor matches for BMT sufferers.
The transplant occurred on the Queen Elizabeth College Hospital, Glasgow.
Carol stated: “I have fun two birthdays – my birthdate and my rebirth date. And I do know which one is extra vital to me now.”
Susan Groom, director for regional providers at NHS Better Glasgow and Clyde, stated: “We're extraordinarily pleased with the service our BMT groups are capable of ship to sufferers throughout the nation. For sufferers like Carol, it’s life-changing and offers a second probability. However for the service to work to its full potential, we want donor matches for sufferers.
"It’s subsequently actually vital we guarantee as many individuals as potential come ahead to register to donate bone marrow.”
Do not miss the newest information from round Scotland and past - Signal as much as our each day e-newsletterright here.