After his sturdy begin to the season continued with a Participant of the Match efficiency in Saturday’s seven-try win over the Ospreys, Ulster’s Luke Marshall believes he's nearing a number of the finest rugby of his profession.
The 31-year-old spent 18 months on the sidelines with a critical knee damage however made his return final March and has already matched his seasonal tally for video games from every of the previous two campaigns whereas making a key contribution to the group.
With James Hume set to return from damage over the following fortnight, and Stewart Moore accessible once more after his Rising Eire involvement, Marshall believes the competitors for locations has been a key motivating issue.
“I’m feeling assured on the minute,” he stated. “I’d say it’s near in addition to I’ve performed and I simply hope to remain match. I’m simply having fun with being again in there and I’m doing good.
“The factor that has pushed me on is I do know if I don’t hit type I’m not even going to be within the dialog of taking part in so it's practically like a concern issue driving me on.
“I've been lucky in the beginning of the season, James has been injured, Stew is away with Rising Eire in South Africa, in order that has given me an opportunity.
“The advantage of the squad is that there's competitors, it's powerful to get a run however if you happen to do, it's important to play properly to push on and get a run.”
After Saturday's third win in 4 video games, Marshall is trying ahead to the now annual journey to South Africa that this season will see video games in opposition to the Lions and the Sharks.
The previous are first up on Saturday, in a wealthy vein of type having gained three in a row, all within the northern hemisphere.
“It's a nice journey, a mini-tour,” added Marshall. “They're nice for bringing the squad collectively and, now that you've got the standard of the South African groups, it's such a problem.
“The Lions and Sharks are two horrifying challenges however one thing we're trying ahead to and a two-week tour in South Africa is all the time gratifying.
"I feel we have now one full coaching session after which captain’s run earlier than the (first) recreation over there to attempt to get acclimatised in addition to doable.
"This yr as properly, it’s the warmth as it's their summer time.”