Neil Lennon handed blistering Celtic legend status defence by Martin O'Neill as he revisits 'unfair' fan criticism

Martin O'Neill insists Neil Lennon might be remembered as Celtic legend in time regardless of a catastrophic finish to his time as supervisor at Parkhead.

The Northern Irishman spent a 12 months out of the sport after leaving Celtic following a nightmare season for the Parkhead facet seemingly went from one catastrophe to the subsequent because the bid for 10 In A Row got here to a screeching halt. Followers attended protests outdoors of Celtic after the meek League Cup defeat to Ross County signalled the tip of Celtic's home dominance, which sparked the start of the tip as Rangers romped to the Scottish Premiership title.

Lennon has received his managerial profession again on observe in Cyprus with Omonia Nicosia, main the minnows to the Europa League group stage and pushed Manchester United to their restrict final Thursday. O'Neill reckons that followers will remorse the backlash they dished out to Lennon following the disastrous league marketing campaign, insisting fan notion will change on the previous Parkhead skipper and boss.

Talking on the launch of William Hill’s newly remodeled, state-of-the-art store on Gordon Road, Glasgow O'Neill stated: "Okay, that final 12 months at Celtic, it was tough. I make no apologies for this – I'm a fan of his, actually am.

"Clearly that begins with what he did for me each at Leicester and Celtic and he has gone on and managed Celtic brilliantly. I personally thought – and this would possibly upset individuals – that the criticism he obtained grew legs and arms so rapidly.

"And I attempt and give it some thought now. I used to be watching this stuff from a distance so I'm not privy to utterly every little thing on the time however I felt as if the ten-in-a row turned every little thing, all consuming. And I used to be shocked…I do know social media can do something it desires as of late, and that’s nice, however I used to be shocked Celtic followers could be towards him.

"And also you would possibly inform me that it was solely a minority. However the minority grew and grew.

(Picture: SNS Group)

"And I felt for what he had carried out for the soccer membership each as a participant and a supervisor, I assumed it was unfair. Hear, there are alternative ways on the finish of the day – in the event you don’t win, and ten in a row turns into the holy grail and it doesn’t occur, there are alternative ways of doing it.

"I simply thought it was a bit unfair and that’s from a distance. Nevertheless, when every little thing kinds itself out once more, I truthfully suppose the Celtic followers will realise he did rather well."

When requested if fan notion will change, he stated: "Completely. And I can’t clearly neglect what he did at Leicester Metropolis after which clearly I needed him at Celtic."

READ NEXT

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post