Ken Buchanan's son idolised star before bombshell revelation that Scots boxing hero was his dad

Boxing legend Ken Buchanan’s oldest son has revealed he hero-worshipped his well-known father lengthy earlier than he knew he was his dad. Raymond Fraser Buchanan had posters of the Scottish world champion on his wall as a child – however realized at age 10 that the star was ­really his father.

The undisputed world light-weight champion from 1970 to 1972, Ken was a sporting famous person. Rising up in Prestonpans, East Lothian, Raymond watched Ken’s largest fights on TV. He and his buddies would go exterior after, put their boxing gloves on and attempt to recreate the strikes they’d seen.

Raymond mentioned: “I’d say, ‘Proper, I’m Ken Buchanan, you’re Muhammad Ali.’ And my buddies would inform me the place to go and say, ‘No, I’m Buchanan, you’re Ali.’ In order that was at all times the primary combat to be settled.”

Raymond solely realized Buchanan was his dad after a few his shut buddies began calling him by a brand new nickname, Cannon, which rhymed with Buchanan, when he’d been referred to as Rainbow earlier than. When he requested members of the family, they understood locals who had been within the know had been beginning to speak in entrance of their youngsters and Raymond realized the reality.

In an advanced household revelation, Raymond was instructed the girl he thought of his mum, Rose, was really his gran. And the girl he considered a sister, Maria, was his mum. One other stunning revelation was that his father was boxing star Ken.

Scots boxing hero Ken Buchanan's son says he idolised star.
Scots boxing hero Ken Buchanan's son says he idolised star. (Picture: Day by day Report)

Raymond mentioned: “All the things I assumed I knew in regards to the folks closest to me was incorrect. They had been nonetheless my household and I beloved them, however I needed to get used to the brand new relationships. The strangest factor of all was that Ken Buchanan was my hero, and right here was the girl I assumed was my mum telling me my hero was my dad.”

A short while later, Raymond, who now lives in Wishaw, Lanarkshire, heard that Buchanan and his buddy, boxing champ Jim Watt, had been enjoying soccer at ­Meadowbank in a charity match. Raymond organized to go and watch with a few of his mates, confiding in them that Buchanan was his dad, and later they queued for an autograph.

Ken Buchanan in 1974 with collection of boxing belts, including Lonsdale Belt tartan shorts.
Ken Buchanan in 1974 with assortment of boxing belts, together with Lonsdale Belt tartan shorts. (Picture: Day by day Report)

He mentioned: “My buddies had been telling me to inform him I used to be his son, however I used to be completely tongue-tied and couldn’t say something to him besides, ‘Aye’. However after I received my autograph and walked away, a few them instructed him who I used to be. I don’t assume it was too many nights later that our telephone rang, and it was my dad wanting to speak to me.”

A relationship developed after Buchanan visited his son in his black Daimler, with private plate KB 123, inflicting a stir on the council property. He took his son out and stored in touch, however whereas Raymond met his youthful brother and sister, he was by no means invited totally into the household fold.

Ken had dated mum Maria within the 60s however they cut up earlier than he was born. Buchanan went on to marry first spouse Carol. Buchanan had a disastrous second marriage to Eileen, who left him inside six months for one more man.

Raymond has written a e-book about his youth, Boxing Day, which will likely be revealed subsequent week. He intends his e-book to be a constructive learn due to all he has overcome to succeed in 56.

Boxer Ken Buchanan after knock out win 1973.
Boxer Ken Buchanan after knock out win 1973. (Picture: Day by day Report)
Ken Buchanan in his prime.
Ken Buchanan in his prime. (Picture: S&G and Barratts/EMPICS Sport)

However there are harrowing parts, with a sample of main occasions occurring on Boxing Day, together with Rose’s loss of life in 1999. Raymond additionally had a touching reunion along with his dad on August 14, when the boxer’s statue was unveiled and put in place exterior the brand new St James Quarter in Edinburgh.

Fellow Scottish boxing champ Watt additionally attended and posed for images. Buchanan narrowly beat his Glasgow rival over 15 rounds in 1973, the one time the 2 fought, however the up-and-coming Watt earned his respect and a long-lasting friendship developed

.

Ken Buchanan was honoured by Edinburgh's Lord Provost.
Ken Buchanan was honoured by Edinburgh's Lord Provost. (Picture: Day by day Report)

Raymond additionally took up boxing in his teenagers and carved out a promising novice profession, at occasions coaching underneath his father’s watch, and even fought him as soon as behind closed doorways. Requested who gained, he laughed and mentioned: “You’ll have to learn Boxing Day.”

Do not miss the most recent information from round Scotland and past - Signal as much as our day by day publicationright here.

READ NEXT:

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post