A Union Flag will now be flown outdoors South Lanarkshire Council’s headquarters completely, following new protocols which had been accredited this week.
The transfer comes after councillors heard it was solely raised outdoors the native authority’s base on sure events – regardless of the very fact there are three poles.
In future, it should now be flown on the HQ in Hamilton alongside the Saltire and South Lanarkshire flag.
Nonetheless, the nationwide flag of the Ukraine will take the place of the latter till additional discover.
The Conservatives mentioned it was not controversial to fly the Union Flag, however the change provoked a backlash type the SNP, who labelled it “utterly pointless”.
A movement introduced ahead by Conservative councillor Kenny McCreary known as for a brand new protocol to be adopted by the council as there was no locally-determined rule governing using the three flag poles on the headquarters.
Councillor McCreary (Bothwell and Uddingston), mentioned: “In June of this 12 months, a lot of our residents celebrated the Queen’s Jubilee, leaving the Union Flag at numerous occasions in recognition of Her Majesty’s 70 years service, certainly the Union Flag flew over many different church buildings and city halls.
“Nonetheless one place noticeably the place the flag didn't fly was outdoors our headquarters. This omission in my opinion highlights the truth that South Lanarkshire Council’s flag coverage is in want of evaluation.
“Scotland is a part of the UK but the flag of the Union solely flies outdoors headquarters on sure events although now we have three flag poles and due to this fact capability to fly each the Saltire and the Union Flag completely.”
Councillors heard that each the Union Flag and Saltire are flown completely by different native authorities, together with neighbouring North Lanarkshire, in addition to on the Scottish Parliament.
Seconder of the movement, Liberal Democrat councillor Norman Rae (Cambuslang West), added: “South Lanarkshire Council is the native democratic voice of our communities and it’s import that our actions or public face appears to be inclusive not least at a time the place problems with identification and constitutional standing present common causes for division.
“The symbolism that we connect to flags and the feelings they will generate are clear, they're passions and attributed meanings that may deliver individuals collectively but in addition divide. Because of this it is vital that we offer readability concerning which flags are flown and beneath what circumstances.
“For this council and its three headquarter flag poles, it's obscure why we don’t routinely fly the Union Flag, the Saltire and the council’s personal flag representing our neighborhood’s Scottish and UK identities. This movement provides us the chance to ascertain a protocol which recognises the present association of the state, South Lanarkshire sitting inside Scotland and the UK and the identities that connect to those flags. By doing so the council can acknowledge these vital identities equally.”
Though the brand new protocol was accredited, it acquired backlash from the South Lanarkshire SNP group who proposed an modification to the movement.
The modification was introduced ahead by Councillor Ross Clark (Larkhall) and seconded by Councillor Andrea Cowan (Rutherglen Central & North). It known as for the council to proceed the Scottish Authorities protocol concerning flags.
Councillor Clark mentioned: “I’m astounded by this Tory and Lib Dem movement which simply appears utterly pointless, I’d due to this fact wish to suggest an modification on behalf of the SNP group.
“The Tories ran their election marketing campaign with the slogan ‘Your native priorities not the SNP’s’. I’d wish to ask the Tories how they decided this was a neighborhood precedence for the residents of South Lanarkshire?”
He added: ”As a substitute of making an attempt to assist individuals throughout a price of dwelling disaster designed by their very own celebration, they've introduced ahead a movement on flags. It looks like Tory priorities fairly than these of our communities. The Tories and Lib Dems haven't demonstrated what's unsuitable with the present system or why that is wanted.
“As acknowledged within the modification, the present steering permits us to replicate the range of our communities and our equalities coverage.”
The assembly heard that by flying the Union Flag and Saltire the council may “acknowledge the numerous identities equally and with due regard to all” and that there was a “unifying fairly than divisional potential of flags”.
Nonetheless, councillor Cowan added: “We already broadly observe Scottish Authorities protocol. I don’t see something unsuitable with the established order, I believe it is a waste of council time, particularly at the moment when there’s a price of dwelling disaster.
“Individuals are extra nervous about how they’re going to feed their children and warmth their houses, I believe that’s what we ought to be working in the direction of. I simply suppose it is a full waste of council time, South Lanarkshire Council residents I’m certain aren’t conscious of what flags are flown outdoors the constructing and I believe that is only a waste of time.”
Council Chief Joe Fagan (East Kilbride Central North) mentioned: “Flags are clearly emotive symbols to some individuals in our neighborhood, I've to admit I’m not one in every of them. however I can see the significance in making certain that the symbols the council makes use of displays South Lanarkshire's completely different identities.
“I really suppose that once you take a number of the nonsense out of the controversy that we’ve simply heard, the movement as drafted really takes fairly a degree and regarded method to the difficulty of a protocol.
“On changing into chief I did study that there was no particular protocol right here in the way in which that various different councils have their very own protocol. So I do suppose there’s advantage in our personal coverage.
“I believe the movement permits us to reflect the Scottish Authorities steering, which incorporates issues just like the Rainbow flag and World Aids Day, and in addition recognising that this isn't a Scottish Authorities constructing, that is the municipal headquarters of a council and it makes excellent sense that the council ought to deviate from the Scottish Authorities’s steering the place we regionally imagine that to be applicable.
The Labour councillor added: “I see no motive why we should always persist with our coverage which strictly really requires us to fly two Saltires and doubtlessly to the detriment of the council flag or the Union Flag or every other flag which will have significance to the neighborhood. ”
Liberal Democrat councillor Robert Brown (Rutherglen South) mentioned: “We’ve received three flags, we ought to be flying the Union Flag. the Saltire and the neighborhood flag.”
He added: “I’m fairly astonished that the SNP ought to take objection to that, I believe it solely speaks to the exclusionist model that they make of Scotland’s nationwide life. It’s really fairly vital that we recognise the divisions in our society and attempt to reconcile them.”
The Union Flag, Saltire and a South Lanarkshire flag will now be flown outdoors the constructing, however deviation from this can be permitted for causes reminiscent of commemorations, causes and different occasions. This implies the Ukraine nationwide flag will fly alongside the Saltire and Union Flag till additional discover.
When it got here to the vote, 33 councillors voted in favour for the plans proposed by councillor McCreary and 27 voted for councillor Clark’s modification.
And do you knowLanarkshire Dwellis on Fb? Why not head toour web pageand provides us a like and share.
*Do not miss the newest headlines from round Lanarkshire. Signal as much as our newslettersright here.