Scott Kowalchyk/CBS
The final time Jon Stewart was on The Late Present, he ended up getting some pushback from his previous pal Stephen Colbert when he went all in on the conspiracy concept that COVID-19 emerged from a Wuhan lab. So when Stewart returned Tuesday night time, the 2 males made certain to guarantee viewers that there is no such thing as a beef between them. However they clearly get pleasure from a wholesome debate, and so they discovered one other huge one to get into this time.
It started with a dialog concerning the “informal antisemitism” that appears to be effervescent up in current weeks, with Stewart saying it was bittersweet to see “The Jews” trending on Twitter underneath “sports activities” after Kyrie Irving echoed Kanye West’s antisemitic feedback. “Which for us, is good,” he joked.
“Look, as our spokes-Jew, we hear you,” he continued, occurring a riff about how he wasn’t on the “committee” that received West’s Adidas deal killed. “By way of controlling, clearly, the world, sorry,” he added. “However it's my honest hope that in my lifetime I do get to see a Christian president. I feel America’s prepared for it.”
The dialogue received actually attention-grabbing when Stewart introduced up his “superb pal” Dave Chappelle’s monologue on Saturday Evening Stay this previous weekend. He dismissed out of hand the notion that Chappelle “normalized antisemitism” along with his jokes. “I don’t know when you’ve been on feedback sections on information articles, nevertheless it’s fairly fucking regular,” he mentioned. “Antisemitism is extremely regular, however the one factor I'll say is I don’t consider that censorship and penalty are the way in which to finish antisemitism or to not achieve understanding. I don’t consider in that.”
After joking that a greater punishment for Irving could be sending him to the Knicks, Stewart added, “In all seriousness, penalizing someone for having a thought, I don’t suppose is the way in which to alter their minds or achieve understanding.” He mentioned, “Individuals suppose this. Individuals suppose Jews management Hollywood, folks suppose Jews management the banks, and to fake that they don’t, and to not take care of it in an easy method, we'll by no means achieve any type of understanding with one another.”
Then it was Colbert’s flip to push again. Whereas he mentioned he believes “any comedian has a proper to say no matter they need,” viewers additionally “have a proper to have a unfavorable response to what folks say on stage.”
When Stewart mentioned that “reflexively naming issues antisemitism is as reductive as among the issues they could be saying” and “instantly shuts down a dialog,” Colbert defined that individuals, together with this author, “perceived a promulgation—even with a comedic intention—of antisemitic tropes. That doesn’t imply the particular person is an antisemite.”
Stewart defended Chappelle by saying that comedy “performs with tropes” and comics “depend on these tropes as a shorthand for our materials.”
The 2 associates continued to shuttle on the difficulty, with Stewart in the end arguing that “if all of us simply shut it down, then we retreat to our little corners of misinformation and it metastasizes, and the entire level of all of that is to not let it metastasize and to get it out within the air and speak about it.” To interrupt the strain, he introduced it again to a joke, telling Colbert, “Like I do know you don’t like Jews, I see it in your eyes.”
After an extended pause, Colbert joked again, “Actually simply one in every of you.”
On a extra severe be aware, Stewart advised the host, “I do know you disagree with this.”
“I don’t disagree with you,” Colbert assured him. “I simply need to say that I condemn antisemitism in all its varieties and I stand with my associates within the Jewish neighborhood, a counterpoint.”
For extra, pay attention and subscribe to The Final Snort podcast.