'Fit and healthy' Scots dad left disabled after one-inch blood clot

A Scots dad who has been left disabled from a one-inch blood clot has informed how there have been 'no actual warning indicators' earlier than the lump was present in his leg.

Glenn Merilees as soon as regarded himself as match and wholesome and is now unable to stroll with out the help of a zimmer body. The 57-year-old, from Hallglen in Falkirk, wants his associate, Aileen Muirhead, 62, to assist him stand up, washed and dressed every day.

The one symptom the father-of-seven, who works as a author and poet, reported having previous to the clot was his lack of urge for food in November final 12 months. It wasn't till weight started falling from his physique that he observed one thing wasn't proper.

Medical doctors discovered a rash on his leg and recognized him with cellulitis - a standard bacterial pores and skin an infection that causes redness, swelling, and ache. However after persistent visits to Glenn's native GP, the lump wasn't discovered till August.

Glenn can't walk without crutches or a zimmer frame
Glenn cannot stroll with out crutches or a zimmer body

Glenn informed the Report: "It was a shock, there have been no actual warning indicators. I wasn't in a position to eat and the power simply began draining from me.

"I went to the medical doctors and so they observed a rash, they put me on a course of antibiotics however I began going downhill and was struggling to stroll upstairs, my vitality ranges had been all-time low."

Glenn was saved in at Forth Valley Hospital hospital for six weeks to permit medics to start dissolving the lump. His leg slowly began to swell, with 23 litres of fluid later drained from his limb.

Through the course of, Glenn additionally misplaced two-and-a-half stone and started affected by power again ache.

Before Glenn suffered the blood clot in his leg
Earlier than Glenn misplaced a substantial quantity of weight (Picture: Fb)

He added: "There wasn't something unsuitable with me till the clot. Now, I want my spouse to assist me get away from bed and even assist wash me, it has put her beneath lots of pressure, too.

"The ache is excruciating, the very first thing I do once I get up is take to painkillers - I can not transfer till they've kicked in."

The matter has left the couple trapped of their home with Glenn affected by mobility points.

Occupational therapists have installed handrails, a raised toilet and a bath board in Glenn's house
Occupational therapists have put in handrails, a raised bathroom and a shower board in Glenn's home

Aileen stated: "It has been actually troublesome for him, he is unable to do easy issues that he as soon as may. He cannot even stand up or down the steps.

"He was very impartial however now he cannot do any of the essential issues he used to have the ability to do for himself, I can inform it is irritating for him. We aren't in a position to go away the house as he is unable to go wherever.

"After I go away, it is just for a brief time period so I can get again to him. As a result of reality we will not go away, we're beginning to really feel actually remoted and we have simply come from two years of lockdown throughout Covid.

"It is beginning to take its toll mentally on him, he has develop into actually reliant on me."

Glenn and Aileen pictured together
Glenn and Aileen pictured collectively

District nurses have been visiting Glenn's house on daily basis to provide him injections to dissolve the clot, with the course of jabs anticipated to be completed by January subsequent 12 months. Within the meantime, his household are fundraising to purchase him a mobility scooter to assist return his independence.

Glenn added: "After I do exit, I am unable to stroll and I lose my stability. It is not doing my psychological well being any good.

"I am needing to get out and about, it is a large shock being impartial and going out by yourself to not with the ability to exit in any respect. I am due an MRI scan later this month, so will probably be good to grasp the place this clot got here from and what induced it. It has been actually life-altering."

Glenn's leg after his six-week stay in hospital
Glenn's leg after his six-week keep in hospital

Donate to the household's on-line fundraiser by visiting right here.

Based on Scotland's NHS Inform, blood clot signs can embody the next.

  • ache, swelling and tenderness in one among your legs
  • a heavy ache within the affected space
  • heat pores and skin within the space of the clot
  • pink pores and skin, notably behind your leg under the knee

Extra data on blood clots will be discovered on the NHS web site right here.

Do not miss the most recent information from round Scotland and past - signal as much as our day by day e-newsletterright here.

READ NEXT:

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post