Sundance TV
When comic Jena Friedman dropped by The Final Chortle podcast final fall across the launch of her genre-bending sequence True Crime Story: Indefensible, she stopped herself mid-conspiratorial sentence to say, “now I sound like a hipster Nancy Grace, which I’m totally comfy being.”
So it solely makes an excessive amount of sense that in one of many first two episodes of the present’s second season, premiering tonight at 10 p.m. ET on SundanceTV and streaming on AMC+, she determined to look at the case that outlined Grace’s unhinged cable information profession greater than every other.
Practically 15 years after 2-year-old Caylee Anthony was discovered useless in Florida and greater than a decade after her mom, Casey Anthony, was acquitted in her homicide trial, Friedman got down to uncover what position the media—and Grace’s present particularly—performed within the public’s notion of the decision.
Sadly, Friedman didn't land an interview with Casey Anthony herself, however she did handle to take a seat down with a number of individuals who had been immediately concerned within the case, together with protection legal professional J. Cheney Mason, who she confronts within the unique clip under.
“Why accomplish that many individuals imagine that Casey Anthony bought away with homicide?” Friedman asks Mason of their interview. When he disputes how many individuals actually suppose that, she dryly replies, “Everybody however you.”
Later, Friedman asks the lawyer immediately, “Did Casey let you know what occurred?”
“Effectively, I gained’t be telling you that,” he solutions. He then provides, “I can let you know with certainty that Casey didn't kill her little one,” earlier than going after Nancy Grace for suggesting in any other case and “considering she was intelligent” by coining the nickname “Tot Mother” for Anthony.
“Tot Mother is just not a intelligent moniker,” Friedman, a expert comic who beforehand served as a discipline producer on The Every day Present and earned an Oscar nomination for co-writing Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, argues in response. “I can consider so many others.”
When Mason responds by saying which means she is “smarter” and “actually better-looking” than Grace, Friedman offers him a figuring out look. “Thanks,” she says. “However I strive to not pit girls within the media towards one another.”
For extra, take heed to Jena Friedman onThe Final Chortle podcast.