Michael Condron: I was star-struck on the set of Coronation Street, says Belfast star

Belfast actor Michael Condron was star-struck for the primary time in his life as he arrived to begin work on an explosive new function on Coronation Road.

For the award-winning Recreation of Thrones star instantly discovered himself face-to-face in actual life with Corrie veterans he’d solely beforehand seen on the small display screen like Maureen Lipman, Sue Nicholls and William Roache.

“It took me some time to regain my composure and keep in mind that I used to be there to do a job,” laughs Michael, who’s enjoying the a part of eco-warrior Griff Reynolds within the ITV cleaning soap.

The 44-year-old had been filming on Coronation Road’s set in Salford, Manchester for seven weeks earlier than his scenes really made it onto the field and he triggered lots of confusion for devoted followers who stand outdoors the studios day-after-day ready for his or her Corrie heroes to come back and go.

He recollects: “They had been there to see the large names they knew like Jack P. Shepherd, Barbara Knox and Simon Gregson however they clearly hadn’t a clue who I used to be and even when Griff did present up on the field the followers had been nonetheless baffled by the way in which I talked.”

And that’s as a result of Michael greeted the autograph hunters in his Belfast accent and sounded nothing like Griff who's a Mancunian by way of and thru.

Michael says: “The producers needed Griff to be from the north west of England and I used to be fortunate as a result of I’m not unhealthy with accents. My audition tapes should have been convincing sufficient as a result of I principally bought the a part of Griff with out having to go to England to see the producers within the flesh.

“I’d carried out the tapes in Belfast utilizing the detailed scripts they’d despatched me and an actor pal of mine learn within the a part of Carla Connor which was fairly humorous as a result of he’s a fan of hers.”

Michael (centre) playing Griff in Coronation Street with Spider and Toyah
Michael (centre) enjoying Griff in Coronation Road with Spider and Toyah

The actor, who performed Bowen Marsh, Lord Steward of the Night time’s Watch in Recreation of Thrones, saved his function within the Road a secret for weeks and travelled over to Manchester to report his scenes effectively upfront of their screening.

So it got here as a shock even to a few of his pals that he’d bought the job till phrase unfold like wildfire about his first episode.

Clearly Michael continues to be sworn to secrecy about his storyline however he guarantees large and entertaining twists and turns alongside well-known characters like one other eco-warrior Spider and the lately widowed Toyah Battersby.

Michael is blissful in his new setting. "Coronation Road is an establishment and Guess Lynch, and Jack and Vera Duckworth had been all the time on the tv in our home in my youth when the present gave me an perception to someplace that appeared virtually tropical and wasn’t Belfast.

“I truthfully couldn’t have wished for a hotter welcome from the established stars on the Road. However I used to be genuinely star-struck once I met among the forged, significantly Maureen Lipman (who performs Evelyn Plummer) whom I've admired for ages in a collection of roles within the theatre, the films and on tv.

“I launched myself to her and she or he took up my provide to make her a cup of espresso which is now my declare to fame. I’ve watched her appearing on set and she or he is good, somebody I do know I can study from, and she or he’s very nice as effectively."

He stars as Spider's pal Griff in Coronation Street
He stars as Spider's pal Griff in Coronation Road

“I used to be actually inspired too when actors like Chris Gascoyne who performs Peter Barlow had been supportive of my makes an attempt at a Manchester accent and agreed to let me know if there was something I might do to enhance it.

“However I’ve been uncovered to the way in which folks from round Manchester communicate for a very long time. I informed Chris I used to be a giant fan of Oldham comedians Cannon and Ball once I was rising up and at college I shared a flat with a pal from Stockport. So the accents clearly caught.

“On the way in which to work on the tram I additionally hear in to the way in which folks round me are conversing to listen to how they're announcing issues.”

Michael in Game Of Thrones
Michael in Recreation Of Thrones

Having performed the a part of Bowen Marsh for 2 seasons on the HBO collection Recreation of Thrones the place scenes are shot slowly and painstakingly Michael has needed to get used to a sooner tempo and scale of filming on Corrie.

He explains: “They've three hour-long episodes to make each week which is the equal of a significant characteristic movie and they're good at what they do. And as an actor it's a must to be on the practice when it leaves the station.”

Michael can be again and ahead between Belfast and Manchester for the foreseeable future and he's significantly keen on the English metropolis regardless that he’s a fervent Liverpool soccer fan.

He says: “I used to be on the Royal Trade theatre in Manchester in 2006 in a play known as Mirandolina and I’ve all the time needed to come back again to work. However I wasn’t anticipating to be on the Corrie set so quickly after listening to that I’d been forged as Griff.”

On the time Michael was working part-time as a driver with the Asda grocery store in north Belfast and reluctantly needed to depart the job which he enjoys.

He tells me: “Asda had been superb to me throughout lockdown and I actually didn’t need to depart them within the lurch however they knew Corrie was too good an opportunity for me to show down. And certainly I've been again to do some shifts lately as a result of they wanted drivers and I stay up for doing extra if the scenario arises sooner or later.

“I actually liked the driving which took me everywhere. I used to be with nice individuals who had been actually chilled and it was liberating for me to not be worrying about the place my subsequent theatre or TV work was coming from.”

Michael is anticipating his work on Coronation Road to proceed till Christmas however he doesn’t know if the producers will hold Griff within the cleaning soap storylines any longer than that.

“However I’m simply delighted with what I've bought and it’s good for me and my profession going ahead,” provides Michael, who the evening earlier than flying to England to hitch the forged of Corrie was in Dublin together with fellow actor Terry Keeley to obtain an Irish Occasions finest ensemble theatre award for the Bruiser firm’s revival of Owen McCafferty’s play Mojo Mickybo.

“It was a incredible method to end that challenge and put together to begin one other one,“ admits Michael, who has additionally had roles in TV reveals like Mushy Border Patrol and Quantity 2s.

He is aware of his function on Coronation Road will inevitably convey him extra recognition on the streets. “However that comes with the territory and I suppose it can in all probability develop and develop,” he says.

Admitting to feeling homesick when he’s away from Belfast, he was lately boosted by a go to to Manchester by his father and son who're each Man United followers.

“They love me being right here they usually plan extra journeys throughout to Manchester whereas I'm hoping to get to see Liverpool if I can get tickets. The banter on the set after the weekend video games might be class as a result of there are such a lot of followers of the 4 golf equipment in Manchester and Liverpool.”

Michael is a keen pilot
Michael is a eager pilot

Michael was born in Toronto however his mother and father spent solely a 12 months in Canada earlier than coming residence. One of many earliest passions in his childhood was flying and he bought his pilot’s licence in 2009 although he was grounded for a number of years by the Covid lockdown.

“Nothing beats the fun for me of flying over the Ards peninsula but when push got here to shove I might fly over to Manchester for a day’s filming and return residence within the night although I’m certain how the Coronation Road folks would take to that concept!”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post