Comedy legend Lenny Henry has informed how he was heckled at a catastrophe gig in New York — by Van Morrison.
The pair first met when Sir Lenny and a pal went backstage after a present by the Belfast-born singer within the Huge Apple.
He mentioned that Morrison and his band then returned the favour by turning as much as see him do stand-up — just for Van the Man to shout barbs at him from the viewers.
Lenny (64) revealed: “I took John Shea to see Van Morrison on the Beacon Theatre. John Lee Hooker was a particular visitor that evening, and the place rocked.
“John was over the moon that we received to go backstage and meet Van the Man and the band.
“Van’s an enigma wrapped in a puzzle surrounded by thriller and lined in breadcrumbs. Like a scotch egg with a guitar. There’s no cracking the code.
“Nonetheless, saying all that, when he found that I used to be doing a gig downtown within the Village venue, he agreed to convey the band to see my routine.”
Lenny mentioned that when he went on stage his enthusiasm to road-test new jokes quickly waned when he realised he was performing to an nearly empty room.
He continued: “I used to be very excited after I confirmed up on the venue a few nights later, however there was nobody there, besides for 2 guys in lumberjack shirts.
“I watched as comedian after comedian requested them the place they had been from and if this was their first date. One was from Wisconsin, the opposite from Arkansas; sure, it was a primary date; sure, they did discover one another enticing; no, they most likely wouldn’t sleep collectively tonight, there was nonetheless extra attending to know one another to undergo.”
The comic was initially buoyed when Sir Van and his entourage swelled the gang — however was then confronted with the soul icon’s taunts.
He mentioned: “Van and the boys arrived late (that they had a present that evening), and, by the point they received there, there have been a number of extra folks within the place. At the very least 15.
“So, I'm going on and begin doing the brand new materials, and it’s not taking place that properly. But it surely’s a work-in-progress.
“I’ve received different stuff to sprinkle spherical it that I do know works, however the brand new stuff’s like pulling enamel — it’s only a bit lumpen and overwritten, and I don’t comprehend it but. I’m studying it off playing cards and fluffing traces.
“About midway by means of this interminably lengthy set — the 2 lumberjacks on the entrance row had been now kissing one another, however I soldiered on — I hear this very distinctive Northern Irish brogue yelling: ‘Get off! [lots of laughter] Convey again Jim Davidson, all is forgiven... This isn’t humorous in any respect. Now, Charlie Williams, there was a comic. I would like me a reimbursement.’”
In his new e book, Rising to the Floor, Sir Lenny mentioned that his poor efficiency didn’t cease him having fun with an evening on the tiles along with his newfound buddy after his 1992 gig.
He defined: “We informed Van we would go to Nell’s afterwards and he and the band needed to come back.
“An quantity of ales had been imbibed — after which rapidly it was a celebration.”