Picture Illustration by Erin O'Flynn/The Every day Beast/Getty and Courtesy of Renee Montgomery
That is an excerpt from the e-book The Second: Changemakers on Why and How They Joined the Struggle for Social Justice, edited by Steve Fiffer and to be revealed by NewSouth Books this November. For The Second, Fiffer interviewed greater than 35 activists of all ages, backgrounds, and professions. Amongst these featured are Bryan Stevenson, founding father of the Equal Justice Initiative; Don Katz, founding father of Audible.com; and award-winning author Edwidge Danticat. Excerpts that includes Jackson, MS Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba and Professor Ebony Lumumba, Zev Shapiro, and Christian Picciolini appeared right here beforehand.
Renee Montgomery, 35, is the co-owner/vp of the Ladies’s Nationwide Basketball Affiliation’s Atlanta Dream—one of many few Black ladies to be a serious proprietor of a serious sports activities franchise. A local of Charleston, West Virginia, she was a two-time All American and nationwide champion on the College of Connecticut and an All Star and two-time WNBA champion. In June 2020, she opted out of the Dream’s WNBA season to be a “catalyst” for social justice reform, creating the non-partisan "Keep in mind the third" marketing campaign, devoted to political training and turning out voters in Georgia for the November 3, 2020, particular election for the U.S. Senate. She retired from the sport in 2021. Along with her involvement with the Dream, she co-hosts the podcast Montgomery & Co. and has created the Renee Montgomery Basis.
After George Floyd was murdered and the protests started, I used to be sitting on the sofa with my spouse, Sirena, and we have been trying on the nationwide information, which was speaking about what was occurring in Atlanta. I am searching my window, and I am trying on the similar pictures which can be on TV. I am in Atlanta! I can see firsthand what is going on on. And it was being portrayed in a manner that I did not see or really feel. Folks have been making an attempt to make it appear to be there was detrimental vitality right here, that there was anger. However once I was on the protest, there was a group really feel. It felt like folks have been banding collectively for a trigger.
It was a various group banding collectively. It wasn't solely Black folks. It was Black and brown folks. There have been white folks within the protest. It was a complete melting pot. And I assumed, Wow, that is stunning. I want folks would band collectively for extra causes extra occasions. And to me, that was the shift. I wished so as to add my second to the momentum. That is why once I opted out of enjoying for the Dream for the WNBA season in 2020, the tweet that I despatched was, “Moments actually do equal Momentum.” As a result of I might see all of those totally different folks including their second. And I wished so as to add mine, too, and take part.
Atlanta's Renee Montgomery (21) shoots a free throw throughout the WNBA sport between the Las Vegas Aces and the Atlanta Dream on September fifth, 2019 at State Farm Enviornment in Atlanta, GA.
Wealthy von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire through Getty Photos
For me, activism means taking the lead together with your voice or together with your actions and making an attempt to make a change—no matter that change could also be. I used to be raised by leaders, so I feel that's the place it begins. My dad performed soccer at West Virginia State College, which is the place he met my mother, who then grew to become a professor at that very same college for thirty years.
Since my dad and mom met at an HBCU [Historically Black Colleges and Universities], I grew up understanding the worth of HBCUs and the underfunding of them and the way the system simply generally can not do issues equally or pretty. However I additionally grew up seeing Black excellence at a really excessive fee and degree.
My mother was in Detroit when the riots happened there in 1967 and ’68. She and my dad skilled issues that I might suppose could be part of our historical past, not part of our current. So once they would inform me these are issues that occurred to them, you need these issues to alter at a sure level.
I by no means aspired to be an activist within the sense of, “Hey, I am gonna be an activist in the future.” I did not even know in 2020 that what I used to be doing was being an activist. Folks began giving me that label. And I used to be like, What? To me, it was simply talking up for what I believed in. Talking about an issue I noticed. Talking up for folks that will not even be capable of say it themselves.
When folks began giving me that title, it made me need to examine and study extra. I began to look at totally different movies like Ava DuVernay’s documentary thirteenth. I began studying extra concerning the previous and speaking to totally different folks. I simply wished to know extra.
It was disturbing that a number of issues at the moment have been so much like how they have been prior to now. You concentrate on the way it's 2021 or 2022, and you're feeling so superior. Know-how is rising at such a fast fee. And then you definately take a look at sure areas in our society and you are like, Properly, it is too stagnant. We've not grown in some areas. You undoubtedly see racism popping up greater than it ought to.
Rising up on the planet of athletics, I used to be outspoken on the whole. If you're some extent guard, it's a must to be outspoken since you're the voice on the courtroom. After which to take it a step additional, if you get the title of captain, it isn't solely the voice on the courtroom, however the voice off the courtroom. You’re the one which's guiding the staff, ensuring that everyone stays on observe. That is why they provide you that title. I have been blessed to be the captain of a majority of the groups that I have been on. I've all the time taken that function severely and tried to talk up or tried to do what I thought of was proper.
I by no means needed to mood what I used to be saying. I am very grateful that I went to UConn, the place we have been in a position to specific ourselves nevertheless we noticed match. I can keep in mind once we knew President Obama received in 2008. We have been at Coach Auriemma’s home, and we celebrated. We have been in a position to take pleasure in the truth that we had our first Black president. It was thrilling. So I by no means felt hindered about expressing how I felt. It was much more thrilling in 2009, once we received the nationwide championship and have been in a position to go meet him on the White Home.
Atlanta proprietor Renee Montgomery reacts on the sideline throughout the WNBA sport between the New York Liberty and the Atlanta Dream on August twelfth, 2022 at Gateway Middle Enviornment in School Park, GA.
Wealthy von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire through Getty Photos
I've all the time been in a position to stay out loud. Even in broadcasting once I’m calling a basketball sport, I name it in a sure model that's my very own. The businesses that I work for have allowed me to do it. I am allowed to be my genuine self, though you do not see a number of Black ladies in staff possession and sports activities possession. You do not see it in these teams, however I am allowed to nonetheless stay out loud and be my genuine self.
After opting out of the season, I created the "Keep in mind the third" marketing campaign, which was devoted to political training and turning out voters in Georgia for the November 3 particular election for the U.S. Senate.
It doesn't matter what management function I take, I by no means need to really feel like I am telling folks what to do. I would like folks to really feel like they're doing what they need to do of their manner. That’s true at our firm, Renee Montgomery Leisure. It is a inventive area. When you consider advertising and creating, you want folks to be empowered to make their very own decisions.
I took that very same strategy with the Keep in mind the third marketing campaign. I do not need to inform individuals who to vote for. That is your job to determine who to vote for. Nonetheless, I do need to educate you on the voting course of, educate you on who's obtainable to vote for, educate you on their causes, what they're standing for. I additionally need you to know that native elections are simply as necessary, if no more necessary, than nationwide elections. Your area people, that is what builds up our entire nationwide system.
Rev. Raphael Warnock ultimately received the Senate race, beating the incumbent Kelly Loeffler, who had owned the final staff I performed on, the Atlanta Dream. Afterward he instructed ABC, “I feel what you have been listening to from Renee Montgomery, was that these usually are not regular occasions. She felt like she wanted to deal with the second and the remainder of the ladies and the WNBA utilizing that platform, in a manner as athletes that remembers the names of Muhammad Ali and John Carlos and others who stood up on the Olympics placing ahead a message of justice-making on the planet."
I could not consider that we had that massive of an impression. “To see the outcomes, it was a surreal second to have. The WNBA has a spot in historical past,” I instructed ABC.
Some athletes are comfy with speaking to the media. Some athletes are comfy with giving their private views, and a few aren't. There’s so much that comes with utilizing your voice for a trigger. All people's not going to agree with how you are feeling. All people's not going to need you to speak about politics or social justice. They could simply need you to play basketball. “Shut up and dribble,” proper? They could simply need their favourite athlete to only be their favourite athlete. They do not need to know what their favourite athlete feels off the courtroom. They only need to know that that that is my favourite athlete and so they're good at basketball.
Everytime you determine to inform your views or your opinions out loud, you are placing your self on the market to be judged. You are placing your self on the market to be disliked, as a result of, as we all know, everyone's going to have a distinction in opinions. So it's tough as a result of you have got followers from each totally different tradition. that if you make an announcement, it'll offend some followers. However should you perceive that what you are saying is your second and it is wanted at the moment, then you definately'll stay with that.
In February 2021, Loeffler bought her stake within the staff to a three-person investor group that included me. When you consider staff possession and what that sometimes seems to be like, it isn't a Black lady. That to me was certainly one of my principal motivations. Illustration issues! We speak about that on a regular basis on my podcast, Montgomery and Firm, as a result of it is crucial that individuals be capable of see what they need to be.
For the podcast, [journalist] Jemele Hill had the imaginative and prescient for us to pivot a little bit bit. She thought it will be distinctive if we had Black and brown ladies that have been speaking about enterprise and tradition along with sports activities. That mixture shouldn't be so widespread. It wasn't that we have been simply randomly speaking about it. We had credentials. We have been speaking concerning the world that we're in. We're within the basketball world, with staff possession; the enterprise capitalist world. I am a basic associate. We're right here, we're immersed. We're within the tradition. And so what's totally different is that we discuss concerning the issues that we stay and the world we're dwelling in.
There's not very many people in there. That is the factor that we speak about and that is what we lean into. We attempt to assist folks construct and develop. We discuss to the highest enterprise folks, we discuss to founders, we discuss to professional athletes. We have had some fairly wonderful friends, together with Stacey Abrams.
I all the time wish to encourage folks to observe their intestine—what it is telling you, what you are feeling. In case you really feel like what you are doing is correct, then you might want to create your individual second. Lots of people suppose creating their second must be this massive grand factor. Creating your individual second can begin with only one tweet or with volunteering. It might be something. So should you're creating your second and also you're including to the momentum, you are doing one thing simply as a lot as somebody you may see throughout TV. All people's second issues.