Liberal Democrat councillor 'shaken' after being assaulted while delivering newsletters

A senior Edinburgh councillor has been left 'shaken' after being attacked whereas delivering newsletters in his constituency. Kevin Lang, chief of the Scottish Liberal Democrat group in Edinburgh Metropolis Council, says he was grabbed by the throat and sworn at by an indignant voter in South Queensferry.

Mr Lang believes the person waited for him to move after earlier posting a e-newsletter via his door. He says the enraged man adopted him down the road as he tried to keep away from the confrontation earlier than assaulting him and stuffing the leaflet down his shirt.

The Liberal Democrat chief says whereas he has acquired verbal abuse earlier than he has by no means seen an incident prefer it in his 25 years in politics. Writing on social media he slammed the 'intimidation' and mentioned it has 'no place in a free and democratic society'.

Talking to the Each day Document, he mentioned: "I used to be fairly shaken up I've by no means had a scenario like that and 25 years. I used to be out delivering my e-newsletter door to door to individuals's letter containers and I had delivered this gentleman's e-newsletter about quarter-hour earlier than as a result of I used to be developing the opposite facet of his street.

"He had clearly been ready for me and he got here out of his home and began shouting profanities at me. He was being very aggressive and I used to be strolling away from him.

"The recommendation that we get given by professionals is to attempt to keep away from interactions and so that is what I attempted to do. However he clearly needed confrontation."

Mr Lang says it was at this level the person grabbed him by the throat and 'forcibly shoved' the leaflet down his shirt earlier than shouting extra abuse as he walked again to his home. He continued: "I have been a councillor for 5 years, and I have been concerned in politics for 25 years.

"You get verbal abuse. You get insults.

"However I've by no means in my time had somebody put their fingers on me merely for the act of delivering a e-newsletter. I am simply doing the job that I used to be elected a month in the past to do.

"I am proud to be a councillor and I am not going to let anybody intimidate me or cease me. However I am involved these sorts of incidents have gotten extra frequent."

Scottish Lib Dem chief Alex Cole-Hamilton claimed on social media that Mr Lang had been assaulted by an “SNP supporter''. He wrote: “Fully unacceptable. I’ve spoken with Kevin and this was a politically motivated assault by an SNP supporter.

“The man in query can now clarify his specific model of civic and joyous nationalism to Police Scotland.” Former Liberal Democrat chief Willie Rennie, added: "It takes so much to shake Kevin so this should have been unhealthy.

"In the event that they need to resort to violence to make their political level it means they don’t have an excellent level to make." SNP councillor for Leith Adam McVey wrote: "So sorry to learn this Kevin, I hope you’re okay.

"Violence won't ever have a spot in our Metropolis, our politics & there'll at all times be extra that unites first rate individuals, no matter their views, than divides us. Hope Police take sturdy motion."

When requested for a response from the Lib Dems, the celebration despatched an extra assertion from Mr Lang. It mentioned: "I've been doing politics a very long time so I’m used to shouty, indignant individuals however that is the primary time I’ve ever been bodily assaulted.

"This morning, I used to be merely delivering my councillor e-newsletter round my ward, when a person got here out of his home, grabbed me by the throat and stuffed the e-newsletter down my shirt, utilizing every kind of profanity as he did so.

"Naturally, I've reported the incident to the police. It doesn't matter what divides us, this type of intimidation and abuse of individuals you disagree with has no place in a free and democratic society."

A Police Scotland spokesperson mentioned: “We had been made conscious of an assault on a person within the Dundas Avenue space of South Queensferry which occurred round 11.10am on Sunday, 7 August. Enquiries are ongoing to determine the total circumstances.”

Do not miss the newest information from round Scotland and past - Signal as much as our day by day e-newsletter right here.

READ NEXT:

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post