Luss fighter Hannah Rankin: "Professional sport needs more female voices"

Hannah Rankin is used to breaking down obstacles in sport.

In 2019 the Luss-born fighter turned Scotland’s first feminine boxing world champion, defeating American Sarah Curran on an evening of excessive feelings in Paisley.

And earlier this yr a dominant displaying noticed Hannah defeat Mexico’s Alejandra Ayala at a packed Hydro within the first defence of her IBO and WBA world championship belts.

Nonetheless, Hannah can be aiming to smash down obstacles exterior the ring - as she goals to hitch a bunch nearly as uncommon as feminine Scottish boxing world champions. Feminine boxing commentators.

Hannah instructed the Lennox: “I used to be alleged to be preventing in entrance of a house crowd final July, nonetheless, my plans modified and as a substitute I did the commentary for that.

“I’ve actually loved being concerned within the media aspect, particularly commentary.

“I believe skilled sport, and particularly boxing, might do with some extra feminine voices.

“It’s positively an avenue that I’ll be pursuing after my skilled boxing life.

“I wish to nonetheless be concerned within the sport and I actually benefit from the geeky aspect. Studying about different fighters, opponents, the setups and stuff.

“For me, that’s a dream job.

“There are positively plans forward to do some commentary with Sky Sports activities and broadcasters like that.

“I’m placing within the groundwork now.”

Hannah Rankin poses with her title belts after beating Alejandra Ayala
Hannah along with her world title belts in Could. (Picture: SNS Group)

As knowledgeable musician exterior the ring, Hannah is used to performing below stress away from boxing - and admits that the transfer behind the mic, which included working for Sky Sports activities throughout Josh Taylor’s world title defence earlier this yr, was one which she immediately felt snug with.

The previous Hermitage Academy pupil continued: “I’ve bought fairly used to speaking right into a microphone. I do a whole lot of media within the lead-up to my fights so I’m fairly used to having a digicam in my face.

“I’ve achieved fairly a number of high-profile fights now too.

“I at all times say to fighters who're coming by that it’s actually necessary you get media coaching or follow issues like that.

“The extra you do it, the extra assured you get. It’s the connection between you and the group. It’s the way you construct a fanbase.

“Individuals won't know something about you, however they love to listen to you communicate, hear the place you’ve come from and what you do.

“Should you get snug with that then it’s an actual addition to your sport as a fighter.

“FightZone has been improbable. They're giving fighters on the cardboard a slot to have a chat with the commentary workforce.

“That’s such a forward-thinking approach of doing stuff. It signifies that the general public watching will get to listen to what a fighter appears like, what their humour could be like and what kind of character they're.”

Boxer Hannah Rankin at Sam Kynoch's boxing gym
Hannah believes its very important there's extra feminine illustration in boxing. (Picture: DAILY RECORD)

And Hannah hopes she could be a function mannequin to younger women trying to get entangled within the traditionally male-dominated boxing world.

She added: “To headline the Hydro and have such a large array of individuals from all totally different backgrounds coming to assist me was simply unbelievable.

“It was wonderful to be concerned in one thing like that.

“I’m actually hoping that younger women will now see that there's a pathway there.

“Once I was rising up, there weren’t many sturdy feminine function fashions in boxing.

“A part of being a world champion is that you need to signify your sport and signify your self and promote the game, and that’s one thing I like doing.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post