Britain's Got Talent winner Jon Courtenay's secret battle with skin cancer on show

Jon Courtenay might have received Britain’s Bought Expertise – however his spouse needed him to be much more just like the present’s boss Simon Cowell.

The 49-year-old, the primary golden buzzer act to have received the present, met Simon throughout his version on the London Palladium in 2020.

The multi-millionaire gave Jon’s shocked spouse Emmah, 45, a hug and she or he was instantly smitten.

Simon Cowell attends "America's Got Talent" Season 14 Live Show Red Carpet
Simon Cowell (Picture: Frazer Harrison/Getty Photographs)

The pianist revealed: “He gave my spouse a hug and per week later she purchased me a ravishing gray, cashmere jumper.

“We couldn’t afford it so I requested why and she or he mentioned that’s what Simon had been sporting. I’m nonetheless unsure who she’s pondering of when she asks me to put on it in mattress.”

Whereas it was Ant & Dec who pressed the golden buzzer for Jon, Simon was an early champion of the Manchester musician and comic.

Jon, the daddy of two sons Nathan 16 and Alfie, 9, had been attempting to make it for 25-years and was struggling financially earlier than auditioning for the present in 2020 which he ultimately received, receiving a life-changing £250,000.

Instagram image posted by Jon with spouse Emmah

However he wasn’t in a position to ask Simon recommendation throughout or after the present as a result of the media mogul broke his again in August 2020 after he fell off an electrical bike in California.

Jon joked: “Simon was solely there for my audition then he used the excuse of a damaged again to get out of the remainder of the collection.

“On stage on the Palladium he was very candy and mentioned he realised that I’d been grafting for a few years and that this is able to be a giant break for me.” Whereas it was, Jon hasn’t been in a position to money in on the success of the TV like different winners due to the Covid pandemic. The 2020 present was cut up into two – with the auditions being proven on TV in April and Might and the dwell reveals airing between August and October.

On the time Jon was nervous after getting the golden buzzer from Ant & Dec – the present was going to be cancelled.

He mentioned: “For some time they had been adamant that they wouldn’t do it with no dwell viewers.

“It will have been a really merciless destiny to get a golden buzzer after which have the present cancelled!

“I do know Ant & Dec had been fairly ecstatic that it was their golden buzzer who received earlier than Simon’s (this 12 months’s Axel Blake).”

The present was then cancelled in 2021 due to the pandemic and it’s solely now that Jon can exit and play dwell to his followers – together with a debut run on the Edinburgh Competition Fringe beginning subsequent Wednesday.

Jon mentioned: “It was slightly irritating however you’ll by no means hear me complain. The prize cash meant we might pay the mortgage having been unemployed for 18 months like all entertainers.

“Then I used to be having my most cancers therapy so if I used to be out on the highway I might have in all probability needed to cancel lots of reveals anyway. Perhaps all of it occurred for a purpose.”

Throughout filming of BGT in July 2020 Jon noticed a suspicious mole on the left aspect of his head which in August – earlier than BGT reconvened within the autumn – was discovered to be a melanoma.

However he didn’t inform anybody on the present as he didn’t need the pity vote.

Jon mentioned: “We actually informed nobody on the present in case it acquired leaked.

“BGT love a superb sob story however the considered folks giving me a sympathy vote somewhat than for my efficiency scared me greater than my analysis!”

Jon on 2020's BGT

Being on the present whereas secretly battling pores and skin most cancers really helped Jon with the stress of being on the present.

He mentioned: “An excerpt from my diary through the finals mentioned: ‘The final two days of rehearsals on the studio is the primary time I haven’t thought of most cancers for months.’

“I used to be having lots of sleepless nights which I in all probability would have been having anyway worrying concerning the present, however possibly my well being state of affairs helped me maintain all of it in perspective.”

After profitable the present Jon had an operation in December and acquired the all clear simply earlier than Christmas. However in February 2021 he discovered a lump in his neck.

He mentioned: “It seems it had unfold regardless of the physician’s convictions that it hadn’t, so after a radical neck dissection to take away it, I began a 12 months’s course of immunotherapy which completed in Might this 12 months.”

Technically the present’s longest operating champ – till comic Axel Blake was topped BGT winner final month – Jon is making his Fringe debut subsequent week.

Axel Blake has won BGT 2022
Axel Blake received BGT 2022 (Picture: ITV)

He mentioned: “It’s been on the bucket listing for a few years. The present is named In opposition to the Odds and it’s a one-man musical concerning the story of my expertise on BGT mixed with my most cancers analysis on the identical time.

“I wasn’t a favorite to win for a really very long time and I wasn’t anticipating to get by my well being battle both however towards the percentages, I did.”

Whereas he hasn’t acquired Scottish roots he's a fan of a dram.

He mentioned: “I've an unlimited assortment of Scottish single malts. A couple of associates who've accomplished the Fringe up to now have had a zero-alcohol coverage.

“That could be robust contemplating my love of single malts however that’s my intention.

“I’ll be shopping for some throughout my keep in Edinburgh and can take pleasure in my purchases after I’m again in England.”

Jon first realized the piano when he was 4 however was a comedy-magic act in his teenagers earlier than making up songs and taking part in the piano on stage in his 20s. Victor Borge, not Victoria Wooden was his early inspiration.

Jon is hoping his Fringe run might be a hit so he can maintain performing his new present across the UK however has already been booked to do panto in St Helens.

He additionally has recommendation to anybody hoping to use for subsequent 12 months’s BGT.

He mentioned: “I went into it very conscious that Simon has created a TV present first and a expertise present second.

“In case you settle for that then sure, you must go for it and benefit from the experience.

“I’d do it once more in a heartbeat.

However Jon does warn hopefuls that BGT doesn’t open the door to a profitable profession.

He added: “Whereas a actuality present might need accomplished 20 years in the past or extra – it’s as much as the act whether or not they can maintain the momentum.

“Whether or not it offers you a profession or not nonetheless relies on what you do when it’s throughout.

“It’s not just like the outdated days of New Faces or Alternative Knocks when a profitable look virtually
assured you a TV profession. It’s not that easy anymore.

“You want a superb staff round you and it is advisable nail social media which I’m nonetheless so unhealthy at!

“If I wasn’t on this enterprise I’d don't have any social media presence in any respect but it surely’s a crucial evil these days.”

● Jon’s In opposition to the Odds runs from August 3-14 on the Gilded Balloon – The Museum. Tickets from gildedballoon.co.uk or name 0131 622 6552.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post