Vigil held for schoolgirl, 12, who died after telling police she was raped

A vigil has been held by heartbroken household and associates to mark one 12 months because the tragic loss of life of a 12-year-old woman.

Semina Halliwell had spent 4 nights in hospital earlier than she sadly handed away on June 12, 2021.

Devastated mum Rachel Halliwell says her daughter took her personal life quickly after an interview with police.

The 12 months 7 pupil at Stanley Excessive Faculty in Southport instructed officers she had been raped by an older boy who used Snapchat to groom her.

A vigil was held at Liverpool Highway Cemetery in Ainsdale on Sunday (June 12) to mark the one-year anniversary of Semina's loss of life.

Family members had been in attendance as Rachel learn a poem and laid flowers at her kid's grave, earlier than the group launched balloons into the sky.

Talking to the ECHO earlier than the vigil, Rachel stated: "I am anxious about it as a result of in the intervening time I am simply making an attempt not to think about what she was going by means of this time final 12 months as a result of I simply assume if I am going to that place I'll by no means return. It is simply reliving every part once more and he or she was simply 12.

"She was a child and he or she needs to be right here and he or she's not. I've not had any time, due to every part that is been happening, to grieve correctly. I admire everybody coming to recollect her and everybody's love and assist.

Flowers laid at Semina's grave.
Flowers laid at Semina's grave. (Picture: Liverpool Echo)

"That is what retains me going, all of the individuals which might be supporting me as a result of with out them I feel I might have fallen aside. I wish to keep in mind Semina and it is actually vital to me. I feel it is vital as properly to have the group come collectively.

"I feel everybody is aware of Semina's story and the love that they've proven in the direction of her has been wonderful, that is one thing that may keep in my coronary heart ceaselessly."

Rachel believes that Merseyside Police "failed her daughter". Nevertheless, a date has not but been set for an inquest into Semina's loss of life.

When approached by the ECHO, a spokesperson for Merseyside Police stated: "The matter is at present being thought-about by the Sefton, Knowsley and St Helens coroner and as such it isn't acceptable for Merseyside Police to touch upon any of the substantive points raised right now, as we'd not want to prejudice the coronial investigation. Nevertheless, we now have, and are, co-operating totally with the coroner on this matter.

“A proper criticism regarding the police investigation has been obtained and the considerations expressed are being investigated by the power’s Skilled Requirements Division. We have now knowledgeable the Impartial Workplace for Police Conduct and are preserving them up to date."

Do not miss the most recent information from round Scotland and past - Signal as much as our day by day publication right here.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post