East Kilbride Thistle signing 17 years in the making for Jamie Longworth

Jamie Longworth has revealed signing for East Kilbride Thistle’s first group has been 17 years within the making after he checked in on the Showpark this week.

New Jags gaffer Garry O’Hanlon has pulled off a little bit of a signing coup by attractive the previous Stranraer and East Kilbride FC striker to his hometown membership within the West of Scotland Soccer League.

The pair as soon as performed collectively for Thistle’s under-21s nearly 20 years in the past and now they've been reunited as their soccer journeys come full circle.

And Longworth, who spent the previous two seasons at WOSFL rivals St Roch’s, has defined how his transfer to the Jags has been 17 years within the making.

He stated: “I really performed for EK Thistle under-21s after I was 17 and Brian McMullan [the Jags chairman] was the supervisor then.

“He requested me to signal for the primary group however I went to Kilbirnie as a substitute as a result of Chris Erskine is my massive mate and we each went there.

“But it surely’s wonderful that, right here we at the moment are, 17 years later and I’m a part of the group.

“I met Brian once more on Saturday there so it’s humorous the way it has labored out.

“It was a cracking group we had within the 21s, trying again. Massive Garry was there, Stephen McClung was there, Sean Winter and Paul Woods. It simply wasn’t fairly the time for me then however that is the proper time for me to be at Thistle.

“It really nearly occurred a few years in the past earlier than I signed for to St Roch’s. I spoke to [former EK boss] Alan Paterson however I’d already agreed to signal for St Roch’s so I needed to say thanks, however no thanks that point as effectively.

“However I’m excited to get began.”

Longworth in action for Stenhousemuir against Hamilton in 2017
Longworth in motion for Stenhousemuir towards Hamilton in 2017 (Picture: SNS Group)

Former Stranraer and Stenhousemuir star Longworth is the newest thrilling summer time signing on the Showpark, with former Clyde and Montrose midfielder David Grey and skilled ex-EKFC and Wishaw goalkeeper Iain Stewart additionally becoming a member of within the final week.

Jags participant/coach Aaron Connolly performed his half in getting the 34-year-old to enroll and Longworth believes the membership are assembling a powerful squad for his or her WOSFL Third Division marketing campaign kicking off on July 30.

He added: “It’s going to be a really aggressive league this season so that you want the legs, however the extra expertise we are able to get in there as effectively the higher.

“I feel it will likely be a bunch of boys who know one another effectively, know the way one another play and that may solely be good for the group to assist us hit the bottom working.

“This season I felt I possibly wanted a change and when Aaron spoke to me I assumed it’s very helpful for me and I do know a couple of guys like David Grey, Scott Hadden and Iain Stewart who've signed as effectively.

“It’s a very good squad to become involved with. You’ve obtained quite a lot of younger gifted boys in there as effectively like Danny Hashim up entrance.

“If we put in expertise round them, hopefully we get the very best of each worlds.

“I’m 35 subsequent month so I feel it’s a very good transfer for me. I feel I’ve obtained a very good couple of years left in me and hopefully I will help EK Thistle throughout that point.

“It was a simple resolution for me.”

It might be a bit surreal for Longworth having his previous team-mate O’Hanlon now calling the photographs, however he says he's trying ahead to what the brand new gaffer will convey to the get together at Thistle.

“It’s ironic that Garry was a part of the group after I was with the 21s right here, however no matter how lengthy I’ve identified him, I’ve obtained large respect for him. He’s the chief,” he stated.

“Garry remains to be an important footballer himself and I know how he'll wish to play.

Garry O'Hanlon, left, has beforehand performed for the membership

“He’s very inquisitive about getting the ball down and passing it.

“I’m completely happy to assist him if he wants me however on the finish of the day I’m completely happy to hearken to him and take his cues.

“I’m excited to see what sort of group he places collectively and I feel we’ve obtained a very good bunch collectively up to now with possibly one or two others to return in.

“He’s an important massive man and I feel the all of the boys will respect him massively.”

Comply with Lanarkshire Dwell Sport onTwitter by way of@LanLiveSport, like us onFbor discover us onInstagramfor the newest sports activities information, photos and video.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post