Cancer patient 'ripped off' by tradesman after paying £1k to have garden tidied

A terminally-ill most cancers affected person claims a doorstep dealer 'ripped' him off after forking out £2,000 to have his gutters and drains cleaned and his backyard refurbished.

Lawrie Craig had a flyer dropped by way of his mailbox and after arriving again to his Newcastle dwelling from a gruelling four-hour chemotherapy session, the dealer turned up on his doorstep.

The 67-year-old agreed to pay £1,000 upfront to have his gutters and drains cleared out, earlier than additionally opting to have his backyard tidied for an additional £1,000, Stoke-on-Trent dwell stories.

Nevertheless, Lawrie was left disenchanted by the standard of labor - and is now demanding his £1,000 again.

He stated: “He informed me he may do a fast job for me after which be out of my method. I used to be in a state of confusion as I had simply received again from chemo which I'm going to each two weeks.

“To start with, he stated he may do my gutters for me and I used to be like 'alright'. I let him are available after which he stated ‘I can do your backyard for you’.

“The backyard was very overgrown and a large number. He stated he would do stonework on the partitions for me too. He additionally stated he would do the drains and get it over and finished with actually rapidly. He stated it could not price an excessive amount of.

“He informed me to sit down myself down as a result of I wasn’t properly. I defined to him the extent of my most cancers. He stated he would want some cash upfront. I ought to have realised then however I wasn’t actually with it so I stated 'okay'.

“I may hear him working outdoors so I sat down and fell asleep. He stated he had a bit to complete off with the drains however he may come again the following day and do the backyard.

“He stated he would dig up all of the weeds, placed on a very robust weed killer, put down a membrane, and canopy it with bark which I assumed was a good suggestion. He stated he would put some particular spray on the backyard wall to cease the bricks from crumbling and getting worse.

“He was round and doing the work however I did not stand over him and examine it. He stated he had yet another gutter to do which wanted to be fastened. On the time, I did say I used to be glad with the work however I didn’t take a look at it.”

The backyard drain that was supposed to have been fixed by the tradesman.
The yard drain that was speculated to have been fastened by the tradesman. (Picture: Pete Stonier / Stoke Sentinel)

Lawrie says he began inspecting the work that weekend.

He added: “Over the weekend, it rained and on Monday I used to be placing out the bin and observed the bark he had put over the membrane within the again backyard had been blown away by the rain.

“I observed there was no membrane. I did one other fast look and observed the drains hadn’t been finished - he hadn’t cleaned the gutter.

“I phoned him and left a message telling him he had ripped me off. He stated he could be round by 12pm the following day which was garbage.

“I received a name from him at 11.55am which I ignored. I assumed he’s not going to place this membrane down as a result of he’s simply informed me it’s already there. There was one other name round 4pm that day and I haven’t heard something since.

“I don’t need him wherever close to me. I used to be left £2,000 down for some work that hasn’t been finished. He was completely unrepentant and in denial that he hadn’t finished the job.

“He has finished some work so I’d like some a reimbursement. He may have £500 for every day for not doing a correct job and provides me a grand again.”

The doorstep dealer declined to remark.

Do not miss the newest information from round Scotland and past - Signal as much as our each day publication right here.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post