Ukrainian refugee fled to Falkirk after bombed hometown turned into 'hell'

A refugee who fled Ukraine to dwell along with her future in-laws in Falkirk informed how her hometown was destroyed by bombing - and became "hell."

Natasha Matiusha, 29, heard a vacuum bomb hovering over her hometown of Chernihiv, in northern Ukraine, which destroyed the varsity she went to solely 800 metres from her house, which killed 20 individuals.

She lay on the toilet ground along with her palms over her ears, fearing for her life.

Natasha is now secure and dwelling in Bonnybridge, along with her future in-laws, Helen and Donald MacKinven.

Her boyfriend, Lewis Pantony, 26, helped her escape to Warsaw, Poland, the place she stayed for 2 weeks earlier than travelling to Scotland on March 28.

Natasha left her brother, Alexey, 44, combating in Ukraine, and likewise needed to go away her cat, Solomon, who escaped when he was spooked by bombing.

She described being in Scotland as feeling like a vacation, and is hopeful she will be able to in the future return to Ukraine.

Natasha mentioned: "It is extraordinarily painful to see what individuals are going via and all a bit surreal.

"They've destroyed my house, they've shelled the cemetery and destroyed my guardian's graves, destroyed my old style and my childhood recollections.

"What's unsuitable with these individuals? What they're doing to the individuals of Ukraine is genocide."

Natasha said: "I had to say goodbye to my brother and I didn't know if I would see him again"
Natasha mentioned: "I needed to say goodbye to my brother and I did not know if I'd see him once more" (Picture: Falkirk Herald/SWNS)

She returned to Ukraine in September final 12 months after working in China, the place she met her companion and had hoped to go to Scotland below totally different circumstances.

Natasha mentioned her brother was skeptical concerning the probabilities of conflict breaking out, and it got here as a shock when she acquired a name from a pal who works as a police officer.

She mentioned: "I hadn't slept nicely that night time, had horrible desires about being trapped and I grew to become conscious of my cellphone ringing.

"I could not suppose who was calling me.

"After I answered she mentioned to me to 'do not ask any questions however that is actually unhealthy. Go to your cellar for shelter'.

"I opened the window and heard the explosions.

"I additionally noticed neighbours packing up their automobiles to flee.

"That is after I ran to wake my brother and informed him we needed to shelter.

"We did not have a cellar so we went into the toilet.

"We took my cat and our emergency luggage that everybody had been inspired to have because the invasion in 2014."

How one can get the most recent information from Falkirk Dwell

Falkirk Dwell brings you the most recent headlines from Falkirk and past.

However do you know all of the methods you'll be able to keep knowledgeable with us?

We share dwell information and unique scoops day-after-day so be sure you're following us so we are able to preserve you knowledgeable on all issues Falkirk!

Over the approaching days there have been fixed air raids and the inhabitants had been put below curfew, solely in a position to mild their houses with one candle when darkness fell.

A river runs via town and because the bombing continued, coming from each Russia and Belarus, the bridges had been destroyed making it troublesome to maneuver about.

After speaking with pals together with the contractor who was serving to to renovate their home, Natasha lastly satisfied Alexey they wanted to flee.

They'd a brief window of alternative to depart and packed their automotive.

Nonetheless, her cat Solomon, escaped when he was frightened by bombing and needed to be left behind - though he has been nicely taken care of by neighbours.

She described the fear of the vacuum bomb and mentioned: "It was a unique sound than I would heard earlier than and I used to be satisfied that I used to be going to die.

"They'd been looking for shelter as one wing of the varsity was getting used to supply humanitarian help.

"However that has gone now, as has a lot of the place I grew up."

Natasha mentioned: "Though I did not wish to go away my pals, household and my nation, I knew that it was too harmful to remain.

"Hell was occurring there.

"We had been in a convoy of about ten automobiles taking place distant roads and continuously going via checkpoints.

"I was shaking holding up my paperwork earlier than they'd wave us via.

"I noticed a small signal in conjunction with the street that mentioned mines and after I mentioned to the man on the checkpoint he nodded and mentioned 'carry on the street'.

"Usually the journey would take three hours however it took us 14."

Natasha Matiusha (Picture: © Falkirk Herald / SWNS)

Solely girls and youngsters had been allowed to board the prepare and Natasha needed to go away Alexey.

She mentioned: "I needed to say goodbye to my brother and I did not know if I'd see him once more."

He needed to return and assist with the humanitarian effort, as did her pal Anastasia, 20, who had travelled with them within the convoy.

Sadly, Natasha has since heard that she was killed.

Finally after travelling by prepare and bus, Natasha arrived in Warsaw, Poland, the place Lewis had managed to e-book her a resort room.

She stayed there for 2 weeks, however needed to transfer each couple of days to a different resort.

On March 28 she heard that her visa had been granted and he or she arrived at Edinburgh airport two days later.

She says the previous couple of weeks have been "weird" with a lot altering.

Natasha mentioned: "One minute I used to be in Ukraine, then Poland and now Scotland.

"It is a unusual mixture of feelings. I am getting used to new realities however it nonetheless feels a bit like I am on trip.

"I needed to come back to Scotland however did not plan on it being this fashion - and I do wish to return."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post