Scots dad who choked on takeaway hasn't eaten solid meal in five months after diagnosis

A Scots dad who's battling inoperable oesophageal most cancers has been unable to eat a strong meal in 5 months after dropping his capacity to swallow.

Donald Stewart, 44, was wolfing down a takeaway on his break at work when he realised meals was getting caught final October.

The dad-of-two, from Glasgow, thought he simply wanted to decelerate however weeks glided by and the issue step by step obtained worse earlier than he was solely in a position to eat tender or mashed meals.

To his shock, Donald was recognized with stage three oesophageal most cancers in January and is now getting ready the futures of his two younger daughters.

The one father or mother instructed the Document: "The medical doctors instructed me it was severe as quickly as they checked my throat with a digicam.

Donald Stewart is battling stage 3 oesophageal cancer.
Donald Stewart is battling stage 3 oesophageal most cancers. (Picture: Provided)

"They did not even must do a biopsy. I used to be instructed I wanted to arrange myself.

"There is a 20 p.c probability that sufferers with oesophageal most cancers survive previous 5 years and it is inoperable.

Medics discovered a 20cm tumour in Donald's meals pipe - and the most cancers had already unfold to 2 lymph nodes.

Donald was fitted with a feeding machine that fills his abdomen - and has been unable to swallow meals for 5 months.

He's now present process a sequence of 4 rounds of chemotherapy, in addition to one spherical of radical radiotherapy.

"By October I ought to know if the remedy has been profitable and if not I am going to transfer on to palliative care," Donald mentioned.

"I've additionally kinds of tubes popping out of me and I am now on a feeding machine for 12 hours a day.

"I used to be struggling to get any meals down so I rapidly misplaced three stone by simply ingesting milkshakes.

"The feeding machine can be everlasting as most definitely my swallowing capability will not come again.

Donald Stewart is on a feeding machine 12 hours a day.
Donald Stewart is on a feeding machine 12 hours a day. (Picture: Provided)

"I am on the stage the place it is tough to even get saliva down so I do not know what it may be like if my oesophagus utterly closes on account of scaring.

"If I ever get to eat once more I might be keen to attempt something!

A fundraiser has been arrange in hopes that Donald would possibly be capable to take his daughters on a household vacation to create some lasting recollections and plan for his or her monetary future.

The dad added: "My eldest Sonni is 14 so I am hoping that she is going to flip 16 earlier than something occurs and she is going to be capable to tackle the home.

"If I might get a vacation with my daughters to make some recollections it might be sensible.

"Aside from making an attempt to get factor so as, I am making an attempt to seize as a lot time with my youngsters as I can.

Get the newest headlines despatched straight to your inbox with our e-newsletter

Do you know you possibly can hold updated with the newest information by signing as much as our every day e-newsletter?

We ship a morning and lunchtime e-newsletter overlaying the newest headlines day by day.

We additionally ship coronavirus updates at 5pm on weekdays, and a spherical up of the week's must-read tales on Sunday afternoons.

Signing up is straightforward, straightforward and free.

You may pop your electronic mail tackle into the enroll field above, hit Subscribe and we'll do the remainder.

Alternatively, you possibly can enroll and take a look at the remainder of our newsletters right here.

"I've needed to cease working and most cancers is debilitating however I've come to peace with it now and I wish to be sure my daughter's futures are as straightforward as doable.

"Most cancers is a horrible illness that destroys folks however I am decided that I will not take my positivity."

If you want to donate to Donald's fundraiser, please go to GoFundMe.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post