Rangers legend with Europa League final gold-dust tickets backs team to lift trophy after strides made since Celtic defeat

Rangers legend Barry Ferguson has his paws on gold-dust tickets for tonight's Europa League closing - and he is satisfied he'll see his group go one higher than he managed in 2008 by getting their arms on the trophy.

The midfielder got here agonisingly near lifting what was then the UEFA Cup when Walter Smith's dogged Gers made it to the Manchester closing in 2008, solely to lose 2-0 to a Zenit St Petersburg facet managed by his previous Ibrox boss Dick Advocaat.

However tonight he heads to the ultimate in Seville as a fan, alongside together with his two sons Connor and Kyle, in full perception previous team-mate Gio van Bronckhorst will information the Rangers squad of 2022 to victory over Eintracht Frankfurt.

He advised Lanarkshire Stay Sport : "I've obtained every little thing sorted for the sport. I am going with my two boys and a few associates so I am unable to wait.

"I do not wish to sound overconfident, however I've obtained an actual perception that this squad is able to going one higher than I did and the group I performed with.

"And that is only for the truth that since that [1-2] defeat to Celtic, the group has gone up a degree and I really like the actual fact they'll change methods inside a recreation.

Barry Ferguson
Barry Ferguson (Picture: SNS Group)

"Clearly they'll begin with the 4-3-3, then they'll go right into a 3-5-2 or a 5-3-2, no matter you wish to name it."

On the street to Seville, Fergie has seen Rangers overcome stern exams from Borussia Dortmund, Pink Star Belgrade, Braga and RB Leipzig within the knockout levels after efficiently negotiating a gaggle stage that concerned Lyon, Sparta Prague and Brondy.

However he is aware of Frankfurt - who knocked out Barcelona, West Ham and Actual Betis alongside the way in which - will pose an enormous check.

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - FEBRUARY 24: John Lundstram of FC Rangers and Jude Bellingham of Borussia Dortmund battle for the ball in the course of the UEFA Europa League Knockout Spherical Play-Offs Leg Two match between Rangers FC and Borussia Dortmund at Ibrox Stadium on February 24, 2022 in Glasgow, United Kingdom. (Photograph by Steve Welsh/DeFodi Photographs by way of Getty Photographs)

He stated: "Rangers are arising towards a superb group. You aren't getting to the ultimate in case you are not a superb group, so it will be robust towards Frankfurt.

"However Rangers should be there. They're there on benefit.

"They put out the favourites, for me, in Borussia Dortmund they usually've earned the suitable to be within the closing.

"However now - simply go and win that closing.

"I understand how it felt after it once I misplaced it and it wasn't a pleasant feeling.

"I would like nothing greater than for this group of gamers to go one higher than I did.

Lee McCulloch and Barry Ferguson in Manchester after Rangers' UEFA Cup Final defeat in 2008
Lee McCulloch and Barry Ferguson in Manchester after Rangers' UEFA Cup Remaining defeat in 2008 (Picture: SNS Group)

"I will be sincere I by no means thought I would see Rangers right here once more.

"However as soon as they beat Dortmund I simply had a sense we'd get to the ultimate.

"I wish to see my ex-team go and obtain issues and I will be there cheering them on to hopefully see them get it over the road."

Comply with Lanarkshire Stay Sport onTwitter by way of@LanLiveSport, like us onFbor discover us onInstagramfor the most recent sports activities information, photos and video.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post