Andy Robertson told ‘get that f****** beer off this f****** coach’ as Liverpool star is huckled back to the future

Steve Bruce was launched to 'Billy Whizz' after signing Andy Robertson.

The Scotland captain is up there with the very best left-backs on this planet because it stands, however that wasn't the case when the Geordie boss took a punt on him at Hull Metropolis eight years in the past. And one episode that includes Carlsberg and the group bus led to nice hilarity.

Regardless of Bruce falling into the 'child boomer' technology, the supervisor clearly did not spend time studying comics all through his childhood years.

In control of Hull Metropolis on the time, the gaffer was none the wiser when scout and ex-Burnley chief Stan Ternent used a Billy Whizz reference to clarify the skills of a younger Andy Robertson.

In a bid to get new expertise within the door, Bruce informed Ternent precisely what he was needing, experiences The Mirror.

“I informed Stan, ‘I would like some power on this aspect - go and see if you could find me a few younger ones'."

"He phoned me a few weeks later and mentioned: ‘I’ve discovered a Billy Whizz for you.’ I replied, ‘Who the **** is Billy Whizz?’ I didn’t have a clue - apparently, he was a personality in ‘The Beano’ – a lad who can run phenomenally quick. I noticed him and thought, ‘Stan’s proper. He’s Billy Whizz, this child.’

“I introduced him in to strengthen the squad however my left-back on the time, Maynor Figueroa, picked up an damage. We performed Stuttgart in pre-season and we had been on this gigantic, cavernous Mercedes Stadium and I put Andy in. I simply thought to myself: ‘What the hell have we received right here?’"

And it quickly grew to become clear.

Robertson had arrived from Dundee United for £2.8million after a stand-out first marketing campaign in Tayside, throughout which he was named Scottish Younger Participant-of-the-Season.

Regardless of his on-pitch success, the teen was nonetheless to rise up to hurry within the dressing room, as his former boss revealed.

He mentioned: “We organised a membership outing to the races – and Jake Livermore set him up – good and correct. Jake had informed him to get a load of beers in. Andy duly obliged.

“He was solely 20 years outdated and was staggering beneath the burden of two large Tesco provider baggage when he tried to get on the coach with them.

"Two baggage – rammed filled with Carlsberg. He clambered aboard and I’ve stopped him and mentioned, ‘The place do you assume you’re going with them?’

"He simply checked out me and mentioned, ‘What’s the matter?’ I mentioned, ‘You’re purported to be elite athletes – get that ****ing beer off this ****ing coach.’ He was completely terrified. Petrified.

"I believe he thought I used to be going to sack him – or smack him.

"The lads had been completely howling with laughter on the again. Did I allow them to have the beer? What do you assume? However he realized a lesson. Subsequent time, he requested.”

Bruce can take satisfaction in serving to form the profession of the now Liverpool famous person, who will lead his nation out on subsequent week in opposition to Ukraine within the World Cup playoff semi-final.

At 28-years-old, Robertson is an actual stand out for each membership and nation.

Talking on the complete again's success, Bruce mentioned: “Watching Andy progress to the extent the place he's now has been one of many nicest components of administration.

"Andy’s power is unimaginable. I’ve seen the statistics. He’s operating 12,500m with 1,500m of that at excessive depth.

"These are large numbers and he does it week after week after week.

"He has an enormous willpower to succeed. That’s what marks him down as completely different.

"He arrived at Hull and he thought: 'I’m going to have a proper good go at this.’

“And he did the identical at Liverpool. And he’s flourished.

"Two years in the past, he invited me into his field at Anfield to look at a recreation. I believe it was a Champions League recreation in opposition to Roma.

"I used to be so happy for him. As a supervisor, it’s top-of-the-line components of the sport - I’m delighted to have performed a little bit half in his growth.

"He’s now one of many first names on Jurgen Klopp’s team-sheet. Among the best left-backs on this planet enjoying for one of many world’s finest groups. Not unhealthy, that, is it?”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post