Fifty years in the past this month, Rangers confronted a German large in a European semi-final earlier than happening to win the Closing in Spain.
Derek Parlane believes if that’s not an omen for the present Ibrox squad to pack within the package hamper as they head for Leipzig this week, then nothing is.
The previous Rangers striker even informed Giovanni van Bronckhorst ’s males the identical factor at their Participant of the 12 months awards evening on Sunday.
Parlane was one of many visitors, an invite befitting of an Ibrox nice who performed such a pivotal position in getting the Ibrox membership to the European Cup Winners’ Cup Closing in Barcelona on Could 24, 1972.
He didn’t play in opposition to Moscow Dynamo, however a month earlier, supervisor Willie Waddell plucked the 18-year-old from obscurity and made him an in a single day sensation.
Rangers, having drawn 1-1 within the first leg in opposition to the star-studded Bayern Munich aspect, who would go on to win the European Cup three years in a row from 1974, completed the job in entrance of 80,000 in Govan. Parlane scored the second purpose within the 2-0 win he nonetheless regards because the most interesting end result of their historical past.
Signal as much as our Document Rangers e-newsletter

Get all the most recent Rangers information despatched straight to your Inbox day-after-day by signing as much as our e-newsletter.
We cowl each morsel of knowledge concerning your favorite membership within the type of articles, movies and podcasts.
The e-newsletter will arrive day-after-day at 12pm, providing you with a spherical up of the very best tales we have coated that within the final 24 hours.
To enroll, merely enter your electronic mail tackle into the hyperlink right here.
And if you happen to aren't already, ensure you be a part of the dialog over on our Rangers Fb group and Document Sport Instagram.
“There’s little question beating Bayern was the very best end result we’ve ever had,” Parlane informed Document Sport yesterday.
“I do know the trophy was received in opposition to Moscow Dynamo, however that Bayern group was completely stuffed with world-class gamers who went on to win the World Cup solely two years after we beat them.
“Bayern additionally received the European Cup with these gamers, three years in a row. They have been a unbelievable aspect.
“They have been anticipated to win the competitors and after we drew them within the semi-final, all people thought it was a given they’d knock us out and go on to carry the trophy in Barcelona. It was a giant ask to beat them however who was to know what was forward of us?”

Definitely, the child from Rhu, close to Helensburgh, didn’t and half a century on, there’s nonetheless wonderment in his voice.
“For me, it was to be very particular,” he stated. “I used to be a few weeks away from my nineteenth birthday and hadn’t been close to the European squad till the primary leg of the semi-final in Munich.
“I travelled with the group, which was an unbelievable expertise though I didn’t play and wasn’t on the bench. We bought the 1-1 draw which was a unbelievable end result in opposition to a group of Bayern’s high quality.
“Little did I do know that two weeks later the boss, Willie Waddell, could be telling me I used to be within the beginning line-up for the second leg.
“I knew I used to be within the squad and I knew John Greig was injured however I assumed Alfie Conn could be carrying John’s No.4 shirt. Then he named the group within the dressing room, ‘McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Parlane...’ I almost fell off my seat. I didn’t hear the remainder of the group as a result of I used to be so shocked.
“It was about 90 minutes earlier than kick-off and that was good administration as a result of if the gaffer had informed me the day earlier than, I wouldn’t have slept a wink that evening.
“Anyway, after naming the group he referred to as me over to have a phrase with me. He took me into the boot room, informed me I’d appeared good in coaching and within the reserves after which stated, ‘I need you to mark Franz Roth’.
“Roth was a midfielder, nicknamed The Bull due to his physique, and I used to be an 18-year-old, 5ft 11in and 11 stones dripping moist.”
The German worldwide had additionally scored the winner in opposition to Rangers within the 1967 Cup Winners’ Cup Closing. It ought to have been a catchweight contest. Everyone knows totally different now. “Once I walked into the tunnel, I appeared throughout at Franz Beckenbauer with Sepp Maier behind him. Gerd Muller, Paul Breitner,” Parlane smiled.
“I child you not, I had Rangers posters on my wall as a child however I additionally had a few of these boys. I used to be starstruck after I noticed them. The noise from the followers was unbelievable however the Germans have been performing with a vanity, as in the event that they didn’t care. They completely believed they’d beat us and that perception lasted about 60 seconds when Sandy scored.
“Then I visibly noticed some heads go down which I couldn’t imagine – and I embrace Beckenbauer in that. Within the twenty first minute, Bud (Willie Johnston) swung an excellent nook over from the Broomloan finish, Maier punched it out and I bought on the top of it and caught it into the roof of the online.
“As the sport went on, they noticed the fireplace in our bellies and so they couldn’t match it. They misplaced the battle lengthy earlier than the top.”
Parlane went on to play greater than 300 video games for the membership however insists none have been extra vital than that one.
“It sounds dramatic, but it surely modified my life,” he stated. “That one shot, that purpose... I’ll always remember the noise that greeted it and from that second on I've been handled brilliantly by the supporters and the membership.
“I wasn’t disenchanted to not be picked for the ultimate as a result of John Greig was match. After all, I might have cherished to have gotten on the pitch in some unspecified time in the future however simply realizing I had performed my half in getting us there's greater than sufficient for me.”
Now he’s hoping the present era can expertise the identical feeling this week. He stated: “I relived all of it on Sunday evening.
“I had an opportunity to talk to the lads who can be taking over Leipzig. I informed them they'd an actual probability to do one thing particular and reiterated what an excellent second it was for me, and the way they may expertise the identical factor. I informed them it’s an excellent membership to play for and so they all stated that they knew that.
“I did really feel they'd an actual spirit and camaraderie that we had in ’72. Sure, they’re up in opposition to an enormous membership however that didn’t cease my Rangers group again within the day.
“My solely fear is with out Morelos and Roofe, we're going to have to vary the form a bit. Individuals speak about a false 9. I didn’t know what that was, you’re both a No.9 otherwise you’re not a No.9!”
That may be a bit new fangled for him however Parlane is aware of time strikes on. He stated: “I can’t imagine 50 years have handed. I can be 69 on Could 5! I get youngsters coming for autographs and I’ll say however you don’t keep in mind me. They used to say ‘yeah, however my dad does’. Now it’s ‘yeah however my grandad does!’.”