Scots nurse who weighed just six stone opens up on anorexia battle

A Scots nurse whose weight plummeted to simply six stone survived on fizzy juice, Mentos and veggie sausages throughout a darkish battle with anorexia.

Blair Paton, from Paisley, Renfrewshire, developed an consuming dysfunction at age 15 after having a benign mind tumour eliminated and struggling along with her mum's alcoholism.

The neonatal intensive care nurse mentioned she was making ready for a dance present and 'went on a weight loss program that by no means stopped'.

Now aged 24, Blair recognises she used meals as a method to 'achieve a way of management' as her private life spiralled uncontrolled.

Blair Paton
Blair Paton is a neonatal intensive care nurse from Paisley, Renfrewshire (Picture: HANDOUT)

She informed the File: "Once I look again at image s once I was at my smallest it actually scares me.

"It isn't simply how I look, however that I used to be satisfied there nothing was flawed with me.

"I knew I ought to have gained weight however on the time I did not suppose I appeared sick.

"The psychological well being side is simply as unhealthy because the bodily aspect."

Blair had a benign mind tumour eliminated aged 14 and the surgical procedure left her unwell for a very long time.

Her well being struggles got here to a head whereas residing along with her mum, Sharon Paton, who was battling a severe alcohol dependancy.

Blair Paton
Even in January this 12 months Blair nonetheless struggled along with her weight however issues had been wanting up (Picture: HANDOUT)

"I am so fortunate my tumour was benign however my mum was a functioning alcoholic,' Blair added.

"I do suppose watching what I used to be consuming gave me that sense of management throughout a tough time."

"At that time my consuming was completely restricted. I skipped breakfast and lied to my dad and mom about consuming lunch at college.

"All I might eat was a packet of Mentos."

Preventing a secret battle the schoolgirl admitted to her dad and mom there was an issue and he or she was referred by her GP to a psychological well being charity.

Blair mentioned: "I began to recuperate over the following couple of years

"However once I was round 18 my mum relapsed and so did I, it was horrible.

"I used to be referred to a therapy centre in Edinburgh as an outpatient however from then on, I'd yo-yo; going backwards and forwards for years."

Sadly, in 2017, Sharon handed away aged 46 leaving Blair, her sister Courtney, 22 and joiner dad Colin, 54, devastated.

Within the years that adopted, Blair's harmful consuming and exercising habits went into overdrive.

"I might go to the health club day-after-day and solely do cardio, I might binge eat, then eat nothing in any respect," she added.

"For some intervals I'd solely eat 500 energy per day; I might drink espresso and fizzy juice all day, then eat some vegetarian sausages at evening.

"I do not understand how I survived, I used to be finding out nursing and working on no power."

In the direction of the top of her diploma, Blair started to deal with enhancing her situation.

In October 2020 she graduated from college and secured her dream job working in neonatal intensive care at Glasgow's Queen Elizabeth College Hospital.

Lewis Gray and Blair Paton
Lewis Grey and Blair Paton are getting married subsequent August (Picture: HANDOUT)

Round that point she met companion Lewis Grey, 28, who obtained down on one knee on Hogmanay after a whirlwind romance.

Collectively they share beloved pooch Paolo and are set to get married in summer season 2023.

Her new chapter comes after years of psychological torment and hard Covid-19 lockdowns.

"Popping out of lockdown final 12 months actually confirmed me how I might wasted my youth with my anorexia," Blair mentioned.

"Life is for residing and if I do not take pleasure in it now, consuming and ingesting what I need in a wholesome means, then it should move me by.

"I am going to the health club 4 instances every week and have a balanced weight loss program, I've a lot extra power now."

Blair Paton
Blair Paton 'nonetheless has darkish days' however is now 'happier than ever' (Picture: HANDOUT)

To mark Consuming Issues Consciousness week the fighter has shared her story in a bit to assist different Scots who could also be struggling and provides them hope that life does get higher.

She continued: "There's such a broad spectrum of consuming problems however step one is recognising one thing is flawed and admitting it, which is so laborious.

"Simply since you're probably not skinny doesn't suggest you do not have an issue, physique dysmorphia can have an effect on anybody too.

"Communicate out and get the assistance, it does get higher."

Blair hails her private coach Laura Mullen for serving to her 'regulate metabolism' by means of 'wholesome habits'.

And Laura, 31, can be stuffed with reward for her consumer.

She informed the File: "I’m so satisfied for Blair.

"Her progress has given her a wee enhance to maintain pushing ahead, understanding that she’s inspiring others who've been in an analogous situation."

For extra info on anorexia and assist obtainable for these affected by it go to the NHS web site.

Do not miss the newest information from round Scotland and past - Signal as much as our each day publicationright here.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post