'I tried M&S' new Gastropub range including the Steak and Chips Pie - and it was surprising'

Relating to mouth-watering consolation meals, not many locations do it higher than M&S.

Which is strictly why I used to be intrigued by the retailer's latest announcement it had determined to revamp its in style Gastropub vary.

Launched simply a few weeks in the past, the newly improved best-selling vary features a number of model new starters, mains and sides which have been the discuss of the city on social media just lately.

From oozing Mac 'N' Cheese balls to the hotly debated Steak and Tacky Chips Pie, it is secure to say that M&S has outdone itself with its revolutionary new concepts.

And, since I really like meals only a bit an excessive amount of, I made a decision to take the chance to select up a number of of those fascinating dishes to see what all of the fuss is about.

Alright, I will admit that I used to be primarily interested in THAT pie, as a result of I really like steak pie and chips, however the addition of tacky chips might both go brilliantly or horribly unsuitable.

So, naturally, I discovered that the one method for me to seek out out if any of it was well worth the hype it has had on social media was to attempt them out for myself.

Heading to my native M&S Meals Corridor in primarily based within the Bon Accord Centre up right here in Aberdeen, I ultimately managed to seek out the entire Gastropub vary up for grabs.

First up, let me inform you how troublesome it was to seize the steak and chips pie, as a result of it took me fairly a number of journeys to my native retailer to even get it - that is how in style it was.

Nonetheless, a few journeys later and I headed again house with a number of of the model new dishes from the Gastropub vary and that is how I acquired on...

What did I attempt?

I finally got my hands on the hotly debated steak and cheesy chips pie
I lastly acquired my arms on the hotly debated steak and tacky chips pie (Picture: Rachel Williams)

As beforehand talked about, I managed to select up a number of of the model new dishes that have been just lately launched simply a few weeks in the past.

Whereas the vary has revamped a number of of their best-selling dishes from earlier years, such because the traditional Hen Forestier and Fish and Chips, I made a decision it was a very good alternative to attempt one thing by no means tried earlier than.

Out of the three dishes I picked up, I can safely say that I've not tried them earlier than, subsequently I used to be going into fully new territory and it was thrilling.

These have been the dishes I managed to select up.

  • Steak and Chips Pie (foremost) - £5
  • Mac 'N' Cheese Bombs (starter) - £4
  • Cheese Rarebit and Ham Crumpets (starter) - £4

My ideas

Steak and Chips Pie

Overall, I maybe shouldn't have popped it in the oven for so long
Total, I perhaps should not have popped it within the oven for thus lengthy (Picture: Rachel Williams)

First issues first - I really like a very good steak pie and I ADORE tacky chips. Fairly frankly, a very good evening out ought to all the time be ended with a wholesome dose of chips smothered in cheese.

That being stated, the thought of the 2 of them collectively is actually an fascinating mixture and I've to applaud M&S for considering outdoors the field.

The distinctive, and extremely wanted, pie is described as being made with "all butter pastry, gradual cooked braised cuts of British beef in a wealthy ale gravy, with a layer of tacky chips."

I will be sincere, it is really fairly an honest dimension for one pie, which was a shock, as I had heard fairly a critiques saying it was fairly small.

The pie had sufficient filling that left me satisfied
The pie had ample filling that left me glad (Picture: Rachel Williams)

After popping it within the oven for a very good 35 minutes, as acknowledged on the field, I eagerly opened the oven to tuck into the model new dish - and I've some ideas.

First up - I actually, actually appreciated it. The pastry was buttery and flaky, there was a big quantity of filling that was full of wealthy tasting gravy and the meat actually melted within the mouth.

I might have appreciated the tacky chips a bit extra had the 35 minutes within the oven not practically nuked them - phrase of warning when you're making an attempt this, perhaps do not pop them in for the complete 35 minutes.

The most important downfall was that a few of the chips hadn't cooked totally via and have been nonetheless a bit stable on the within, however that was actually the one downfall.

Mac and Cheese Bombs

These were the standout for me
These have been the standout for me (Picture: Rachel Williams)

If there may be one dish that I completely adore greater than the rest, it is a good quaint mac 'n' cheese.

It is a kind of comforting dishes that I'll eat in actually any type.

Pop it in a pie? Bought. On a Burger? Hand it over. Encase it in golden breadcrumbs? It is completely getting purchased and tried out.

So, after all, I needed to decide up the brand new Mac 'N' Cheese bombs as nicely, which is actually mac 'n' cheese coated in crispy breadcrumb coating - how might I resist?

After rapidly popping them within the oven for a very good 20 minutes, I eagerly awaited what promised to be a macaroni and cheese lovers heaven.

This was a mac 'n' cheese lovers heaven
This was a mac 'n' cheese lovers heaven (Picture: Rachel Williams)

As quickly as slid my knife into one which was piping sizzling from the oven, I used to be instantly hit with layers of creamy mac 'n' cheese and I fell in love.

The breadcrumbs have been crispy, the mac and cheese was wealthy and creamy and the added smoky chipotle ketchup added a pleasant little bit of spice.

Truly, I give M&S credit score for including on the spicy ketchup, as a result of I am normally a sucker for a little bit of spice in my mac 'n' cheese, so this one was a winner for me.

Cheese Rarebit and Ham Crumpets

This was my first time trying anything related to rarebit
This was my first time making an attempt something associated to rarebit (Picture: Rachel Williams)

Final, however actually not least, was these fascinating Cheese Rarebit and Ham Crumpets which have been, as soon as once more, one other fascinating thought from the retailer.

The truth that these are crumpets and it's not classed as a breakfast dish completely baffles me, however perhaps that is simply my internal British snob popping out.

I've by no means had rarebit, so I've completely nothing to base this on, however this was the one I had probably the most points with, so I will begin with the positives.

The beer-glazed Wiltshire ham was divine. Just like the meat from the steak pie, it actually melted in your mouth and it had an honest quantity of salt that was by no means an excessive amount of.

The crumpets were slightly underwhelming, but the ham was delicious!
The crumpets have been barely underwhelming, however the ham was scrumptious! (Picture: Rachel Williams)

I did, nevertheless, have a difficulty with the crumpet and the cheese.

The field did inform me to pop it within the oven for simply 11 minutes, which I did, however I discovered that the crumpet nonetheless stayed barely chilly, whereas the topping was tremendously sizzling.

I did attempt popping it within the oven for a bit longer, however I did not wish to smash the general crumpet, so I used to be left with a bizarre mixture of fairly chilly and piping sizzling - it was weird.

Total verdict

I've to say that my ideas on a few of M&S' new Gastropub vary are actually extra constructive than the rest.

Let's face it, I do know many simply wish to hear about that fascinating pie, and I can safely say that I've accomplished the work for a few of you who're nonetheless a bit hesitant.

I've to confess, I used to be shocked by it. It was an honest dimension with a ample filling and it tasted wonderful - largely. Simply regulate your oven and perhaps do not maintain it in for the complete 35 minutes like I did. Or perhaps my oven was only a bit an excessive amount of?

The Mac 'N' Cheese Bombs have been the winner for me and I urge any fan of the traditional comforting dish to select them up, you will not be upset.

I might recommend nonetheless making an attempt out the Cheese Rarebit and Ham Crumpets, as a result of they weren't so disappointing that I would not advocate them.

However, they have been the one one which I discovered did not cook dinner as nicely and felt barely underwhelming.

Total, I believe M&S are on to some winners with their new dishes and, as they're barely extra revolutionary than common, it makes meal occasions that bit extra thrilling.

Do not miss the most recent information from round Scotland and past. Signal as much as our every day publicationright here.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post