Dad who was just weeks from death saved by positive covid test

A dad-of-four who thought he was affected by lengthy covid had his world 'turned the wrong way up' when medical doctors discovered he truly had a lethal mind tumour.

Dave Stubbs, 43, caught coronavirus final June when he skilled what felt like an 'explosion' in his head whereas self-isolating.

After visiting his GP and being referred for an emergency head CT, medics found the most cancers in his mind - which if not eliminated might have left him simply weeks from loss of life.

The Staffordshire Police detective now credit catching Covid-19 with saving his life, Stoke-on-Trent Reside experiences.

Dave, of Kidsgrove, was shocked to search out out he had been residing with the tumour for 9 to fifteen years, after having all the time put signs attributable to the sickness right down to the stress of his job.

He's now dealing with two years of remedy to hopefully enhance the life-changing results the surgical procedure has had on his mind.

The Stoke Metropolis season ticket holder, who has been a police officer for 22 years, examined optimistic for Covid-19 after two of his colleagues caught the virus.

He mentioned: "I had no signs however I used to be very paranoid about Covid as a result of I've susceptible members of the family, so I went for a check, and it was optimistic.

"Two days into self-isolation I had what I can solely describe as an explosion in my head. It was like I used to be 50 metres underwater, the stress was immense. I could not put my head down or relaxation because it was so unhealthy.

A scan shows the location of Dave's tumour (bottom right), which was the size of a satsuma.
A scan exhibits the placement of Dave's tumour (backside proper), which was the scale of a satsuma. (Picture: Stoke-on-Trent Reside)

"This continued for a lot of weeks and at this level I made a decision to contact my GP as I used to be involved I could have lengthy Covid. At this level I had additionally misplaced energy in my proper arm, I used to be unable to carry my arm up over my head and I used to be struggling to clench my fist."

Dave's GP despatched him for an pressing CT scan and in July, he and his spouse Rachel - who can also be a Staffordshire Police officer - got the devastating information that he had a big tumour on the rear of his mind.

It was too massive for remedy and the one hope of saving his life was high-risk emergency surgical procedure.

He mentioned: "The considered a mind tumour by no means even crossed my thoughts. My complete life was turned the wrong way up. I had gone in a cut up second from a tough working man with an entire future mapped out to realising that my life would by no means be the identical once more for me, or my household.

The scar left from Dave's operation.
The scar left from Dave's operation. (Picture: Stoke-on-Trent Reside)

"I've three grown-up daughters and a son Elijah, who was 9 on the time. We could not hold it from him and it was horrible having to inform him."

Dave, who was primarily based at Hanley CID, underwent surgical procedure on the Royal Stoke College Hospital in September.

Following the operation, he was advised that the tumour had been slowly rising for between 9 and 15 years and had grow to be wrapped round the principle vein in his mind, which meant surgeons had not been capable of fully take away it.

"I used to be months, if not weeks, away from a deadly collapse. All of the signs I had put right down to the stress of my job had been associated to the tumour. I'd have common complications, I gained a considerable amount of weight and had issues with my imaginative and prescient. I felt drained however nonetheless struggled to sleep.

"My character modified as effectively. I grew to become fixated on issues like work. My blood stress was additionally actually excessive.

"Covid saved my life. I believe it aggravated the tumour inflicting the unhealthy complications. If I hadn't have caught it I'd have continued to disregard my signs."

Dave's son Elijah has been fundraising at school.
Dave's son Elijah has been fundraising at college. (Picture: Stoke-on-Trent Reside)

The tumour has had severe penalties for Dave, however he says he feels fortunate to nonetheless be right here.

He mentioned: "Later within the day I begin to wrestle with my phrases. I get a whole lot of mind fog and I wrestle to learn. I get completely exhausted, however I am nonetheless alive so I can not complain. I've by no means suffered with my psychological well being earlier than however now I endure from anxiousness and get agitated.

"It is irritating that they could not get all of the tumour out. I am on 'watch and wait' - I will have to return for normal scans to observe it. If I am fortunate it is going to keep dormant for a very long time. If not I'll have choices for remedy."

Though he will be unable to return to front-line duties, Dave is hoping he'll nonetheless be capable of have a profession with Staffordshire Police and - collectively together with his household - has thrown himself into fundraising for mind tumour charities.

"The neurosurgery crew on the Royal Stoke had been wonderful and saved my life," he mentioned.

"I couldn't have gotten by the trauma of getting the tumour with out the fantastic assist of three mind tumour charities, and mind tumour analysis receives only one per cent of most cancers analysis funding. I wish to elevate cash and lift consciousness."

Dave's spouse Rachel had her head shaved when he hit his preliminary £3,000 goal, and Elijah - described by Dave as 'an absolute star' - has been fundraising at college.

He not too long ago turned 10 and requested company at his get together to donate as a substitute of shopping for him presents.

The three charities Dave is elevating cash for are Mind Tumour Assist, The Mind Tumour Charity and Mind Tumour Analysis. You may donate right here.

Do not miss the newest information from round Scotland and past - Signal as much as our each day publication right here.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post