Photograph Illustration by Luis G Rendon/The Every day Beast/Getty
In her new guide Taking Down Backpage (NYU Press), prosecutor Maggy Krell tells the behind-the-scenes story of how she and her crew began with the prosecution of road pimps and in the end battled the company sex-trafficking monolith Backpage.com, which operated in additional than 800 cities all through the world, raking in tens of millions of dollars from business intercourse adverts, together with adverts that includes kids. On this excerpt from the guide, Krell describes ready for Backpage CEO Carl Ferrer to land on his flight from Amsterdam to Texas, in order that her crew may arrest him and execute a search warrant at Backpage’s Dallas headquarters.
Carl Ferrer’s flight from the Netherlands to Houston was the longest flight of my life that I used to be by no means on.
As soon as Homeland Safety confirmed that he had boarded United Flight 21, we tracked it on the airline’s web site, watching because it made its approach internationally. And ready. We couldn’t raid Backpage’s places of work whereas Ferrer was within the air—inflight Wi-Fi may need notified him of our transfer, and he’d begin destroying proof and contacting others from no matter handheld system he had with him.
So we sat tight, making small speak and discussing the investigation advert nauseam, full of tension. At lunchtime, my Texas counterpart Kirsta Melton dragged me to a legendary Texas barbeque place. The person behind the counter crammed my tray with cornbread, potatoes, pulled pork, sliced tri-tip, and greens. It regarded fabulous. I couldn’t eat a chunk. I snapped a photograph and texted it to Cary, my husband, in order that at the very least one in every of us may get pleasure from it. Then I resumed my obsessive monitoring of United.com.
Finally, Flight 21 was approaching Texas. I texted my colleague Brian Fichtner, needing to do one thing, something, to ease my nervousness:
Me: Hey, appears to be like like his flight is touchdown quickly?
Brian: Yeah, I ought to most likely get to the airport.
He’d been there for hours, after all, ready like me. And I knew that this arrest could be straightforward in comparison with the arrests that officers make each day in uncontrolled road environments, with armed topics and no backup. I ought to have been calm. I ought to have been consuming barbeque! However the stakes have been too excessive. Years of my life and numerous hours of labor by dozens of fine individuals have been sunk into this operation. Extra importantly, what we did right here right now would cease 1000's of victims from being offered for business rape and would stop 1000's extra from getting ensnared in Backpage’s internet.
Time crawled by. Finally, once we knew Flight 21 was solely moments from touching down, Kirsta, I, and a number of other vehicles stuffed with Texas brokers parked in quite a bit behind Backpage’s headquarters.
Lastly, we received a textual content: Flight 21 had landed. And Brian and his crew arrested Carl Ferrer with out incident.
Kirsta’s brokers instantly stormed Backpage’s shiny glass workplace constructing. I needed to wait. This was normal protocol: when nonarmed personnel equivalent to attorneys, proof technicians, and sufferer advocates accompany legislation enforcement on an operation, the officers enter first to make sure that there are not any armed or harmful people on the scene. Non-law-enforcement personnel are summoned after the officers give the “all clear” sign.
I sat within the automobile in a daze, ready to be summoned. It was a cloudy, grey afternoon, simply beginning to drizzle. By the rain-spattered windshield, I watched the final brokers rush into the constructing.
We received him.
I thought of Leslie and Shyla and Andrea and Genevieve and Shenevla and Lizzie and Kim and Drea and Kayla and one other Kayla and all the youngsters who had been offered on Backpage. I thought of what this may imply to them. Lizzie had stated in her interview that no person cared about ladies like her. In the event that they cared, they wouldn’t have allowed them to be offered for intercourse on Backpage. “How may it's unlawful?” she’d requested. It was simpler than ordering pizza.
I thought of Carissa Phelps, the tenacious survivor, chief, and lawyer who first talked to me about going after Backpage years in the past, and the way proud and gratified she could be that today had lastly come.
Then I believed, “What's taking them so lengthy?”
As I reached for my cellphone, Kirsta appeared on the automobile window.
“Come on, girlie,” she stated, a giant smile on her face.
Earlier than getting out of the automobile, I despatched a textual content I’d been wanting ahead to for years.
Maggy: Watch the information.
Yiota: What’s happening? What are you able to inform me?
Maggy: I’ll name you later. However I’m in Dallas, Texas.
Yiota Souras, my tireless associate on the Nationwide Middle for Lacking & Exploited Youngsters, knew there was just one purpose for me to be in Backpage’s hometown.
On my approach into the constructing, I received a name from my press workplace, desirous to know if they might challenge a information launch. I instructed them to carry. Our first order of enterprise was interviewing Ferrer’s workers—if these workers noticed the information earlier than we talked with them, it may affect whether or not or how they answered our questions. However because it turned out, the Texas lawyer normal was about to begin a press convention, in order that received away from me.
I adopted Kirsta into the tall glass constructing at 2501 Oak Garden Ave. The scene was chaotic: dozens of freaked-out workers have been meandering round bullpen-style cubicles, whereas twenty or so Texas brokers did their greatest to create order. As Kirsta and her crew recognized the staff and started the interviews, I went in quest of Ferrer’s workplace.
It was a big nook room with broad glass home windows. He had a bottle of Macallan whisky on a shelf and a certificates from the FBI for “excellent cooperation” for all of the occasions Backpage helped legislation enforcement “discover” victims—whom Backpage then continued to use and victimize.
I steeled myself and examined the place, doing a psychological stock. I used to be sick to my abdomen, standing on this room that had served as a command heart for the world’s largest child-sex-trafficking operation. When brokers got here in for paperwork, I took the chance to flee.
After we dismissed the Backpage workers, we started figuring out, seizing, and looking out proof: computer systems, onerous drives, piles of papers, and binders of data. Following normal process, the officers sketched and labeled every workplace, itemizing what, if any, gadgets could be taken. We would have liked to account for each piece of paper we took and exactly the place we took it from. The small print mattered. An incriminating doc present in Ferrer’s shred bin had much- larger authorized significance than one present in a low-level accountant’s cubicle. Furthermore, if we couldn’t set up when and the place we obtained an merchandise, the courtroom may deem it inadmissible. Regardless of the insanity, our officers needed to be organized, diligent, and completely meticulous.
The method ought to have been mind-numbing. In reality, it was gripping. We have been in search of Backpage’s insurance policies, its monetary information, and proof that Ferrer, James Larkin, and Michael Lacey knew they have been enabling intercourse trafficking. We have been in search of communications among the many three of them. And we have been in search of directions and worker manuals directing workers on easy methods to average intercourse adverts. The paperwork would bolster our case that Backpage was no mere web platform however an knowledgeable, financially invested, and energetic enabler of intercourse trafficking.
The search began within the afternoon. We ordered pizza round eleven that evening, cautious to prop the doorways open since we didn’t have keys. All of the brokers have been there, combing via recordsdata, till the next afternoon.
Larkin and Lacey have been nonetheless at giant. Ultimately, their attorneys contacted us, and we made preparations for them to show themselves in, which spared them the embarrassment of a public arrest. They each confirmed up on the Sacramento jail and stayed in custody that weekend, pending arraignment.
In some unspecified time in the future that night of Ferrer’s arrest, I left the Backpage places of work with two Texas brokers. We needed to trace down a former worker who had been deeply concerned in Backpage’s funds and who would have been a perfect witness for us. He wasn’t dwelling, however we determined to attend a bit. Whereas I used to be within the automobile, I referred to as Yiota. She instructed me she was getting bombarded with calls from victims, from victims’ mother and father, and from different advocates at NCMEC. Everybody was crying with pleasure and overwhelmed with gratitude. A complete motion was rejoicing that Ferrer had been arrested. As sleep-deprived and brain-fogged as I used to be, for just a few valuable moments I used to be capable of step again and relish how far we’d come. It felt unbelievably good.
Excerpt from Taking Down Backpage: Combating the World’s Largest Intercourse Trafficker by Maggy Krell, printed with permission from NYU Press.