/https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/sports/2017/06/29/capturing-a-country-through-sport-the-voices/foster-hewitteditjpg.jpg)
Turning this over to the Irregulars, as I stated I’d do, listed below are a few of the replies I bought from the opposite morning and eliciting nice sports activities media “calls.”
They’re not all iconic and actually most are extra “signature” and that’s okay; some are TV, some are radio however possibly one among sparks some good recollections.
This was enjoyable.
-
Hello Doug
All the time good to maintain studying your attention-grabbing and informative columns, simply maintain going.
Your article about Dave Van Horne has me considering, do Torontonians understand how lucky that right now, we've so many nice commentators on the assorted native sports activities we comply with.
Danny, Tabby and Buck on baseball, Jack, Leo, Alvin and Matt on basketball, Joe Bowen on hockey are all a few of the greatest wherever. Once I hear a recreation on MLB or NBA with another announcers, I have a tendency to go to sleep. ☹
What are your ideas on the above?
Keep secure and wholesome,
Michael Ok
In the event you don’t thoughts, I’m going to maneuver this to the weekend mail the place I can higher reply.
Thanks, although.
-
What a enjoyable thought. It permits me to reference the 2 nice broadcasters I’d placed on a stage of their very own. That is utterly subjective and never the final phrase on something aside from one individual’s perspective.
I didn’t hear the Van Horne model (however agree he was an excellent baseball broadcaster). Identical recreation, completely different name; I can't recall the circumstances in any respect however I do know that is the published I heard. I will need to have been on the west coast (visiting relations, I’d guess) as a result of on the time I lived on the east coast. When Vin Scully referenced the opposite good video games he’d witnessed, it was like a scroll of baseball historical past that was virtually non secular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGxYrZtdBn4
Then there was this self-deprecating fellow, an erudite voice in my ear for the higher a part of three many years. I finally soured on the sport however not on Mr. Gallivan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRy66AAIPWc
I bear in mind this name particularly, and it was solely a tying purpose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12-x70nq0vI
James A., Victoria
-
I cherished Wilner’s (name) on the Guerrero house run to win the (exhibition) recreation in Montreal. Stands out in my thoughts.
W Morose
https://twitter.com/FAN590/standing/978822018803093504?s=20
-
Hello Doug. Nice weblog. I used to be an Expos fan courting from earlier than the Blue Jays bought right here and fondly bear in mind Dave Van Horne and Duke Snider on the telecasts. You cited fantastic examples of nice calls. Vin Scully had many. I might put proper up there his name and surrounding remarks when Hank Aaron hit his 715th house run passing Babe Ruth. It included the road: "A black man is getting a standing ovation within the Deep South for breaking the document of an all-time baseball idol."
Ian L
-
One I bear in mind is Chris Cuthbert’s 2010 Olympic hockey name on Sid’s OT rating, “ the golden purpose!!!”
Garry H
-
Nice recollections, Doug
Rick Jeanneret wasn’t in Cheek or Van Horn class however there was “Could Day, Could Day, Could Day” when a Sabre named Could scored necessary go. Rick additionally had La La La La La Fontaine for Sabres star. Seniors second – can’t bear in mind these guys first identify.
Bob
I’m going so as to add to this one a bit. First, I imagine it was Brad Could and Pat LaFontaine however my major level is the nice Rick Jeanneret was the voice of the Niagara Falls Flyers on CJRN710 in Niagara Falls once I was rising up so I’ve been listening to his voice for like half a century.
-
There was nothing like Dave Van Horn and Ken Singleton.
I bear in mind them discussing the promising younger 17-year-old prospect Vladimir Guerrero when he was drafted and so they have been hitting him grounders on the Astroturf and he was bobbling them left and proper.
Additionally bear in mind the quick stardom of Mark Grudzilanek
Properly that went up up and away.
Lol. Good occasions
Yisroel Taub
-
Doug
Like the general public within the Ottawa Valley, we have been rabid Expos followers and listened every day on CKBY. Two Dave-isms we use consistently in dialog to at the present time:
"It was by no means unsure," after the Expos squeaked by means of with a victory.
"Ha ha, Duke," - a frequent response to one among Duke's reminiscences
Thanks, Doug
Ish
-
Matt Devlin: “Canada – the NBA title is yours!”
https://twitter.com/nba/standing/1139428462039633920
Joseph S
I, in fact, didn’t hear that as a result of I used to be within the enviornment nevertheless it actually is iconic.
-
Hello Doug,
What about 'bless you boys'?
And naturally, any Andres Cantor purpose name!!
Finest regards..... Roman
-
Doug,
G'day.
I will be 72 in April so reminiscence goes again to the mid to late 50s.
Appreciated Van Horn and the duke.
Went to Jarry Park just a few occasions within the first three seasons of the Expos' existence, bought hit within the facet of the top by 'Mr. Peanuts' who, allegedly, had an excellent arm when he fired his product into the stands.
Noticed mays hit a triple and commit an error in centre area throughout a weekend sequence.
I’ve listened to Scully's name just a few occasions.
Once I was a child rising up outdoors Hamilton there have been two athletes i knew who transcended their teams--as in all of us cherished them: Hal Patterson and Sandy Koufax.
As for hockey calls Foster Hewitt's he shoots, he scores.
Hope you are properly.
Bruce
-
I mainly loafed yesterday and Dave did the heavy lifting, which was drastically appreciated.
However with video games tonight and Friday and Sunday and Tuesday and Wednesday and Saturday, issues are going to get busy.
A few these video games are a part of the rescheduling that happened round Christmas when COVID was operating rampant by means of the league and all of us knew it was going to create a multitude within the second half of the season.
Not as massive a multitude because the pucks, in fact; the locals have NINE video games to jam into what’s left of the season, they've every kind of house video games coming as soon as followers are allowed again and I can solely think about the grind they’ll be going by means of.
And given they have been nonetheless suspending video games final week, inform me once more how significantly better the NHL did at dealing with Omicron than the NBA did.
I would like a great chortle.
-
Talking of mail, in case you’d prefer to get into Sunday’s common mailbag, simply click on on askdoug@thestar.ca someday at the moment, I’ll be sitting round ready to listen to from you.
-