Evander Kane joins Oilers and asks fans to keep an open mind

EDMONTON - Evander Kane is aware of signing with the Edmonton Oilers received’t be a transfer universally beloved by the workforce’s followers.

Edmonton can be his fifth NHL metropolis, and the Oilers the fourth franchise, for which the 30-year-old has performed. There can be questions on his previous — from suspensions as a result of violations of COVID protocols, a chapter and self-confessed playing issues. His contract was voided by the San Jose Sharks.

The largest headlines of his profession, although, got here from allegations of abuse lodged by his ex-wife, which weren't confirmed in courtroom. Kane has custody of the previous couple’s daughter.

The Oilers mind belief and Kane met with the media Friday morning at Rogers Place to formally introduce the winger. Kane is on a cope with the Oilers — with a reported wage of US$750,000 and $625,000 in bonuses — that takes him to the tip of this season, and nothing extra.

Kane was requested what he’d say to the phase of Edmonton hockey followers who won't be joyful he’s becoming a member of the workforce.

“I wish to clear up a number of the misinformation, a number of the storylines portray me in a sure gentle which might be utterly unfaithful, inaccurate and false,” Kane mentioned. “I'd encourage (followers) to be open-minded, to permit me to do what I do greatest and get to know me on the ice, off the ice, across the rink, in the neighborhood, and see what I carry to the desk.

“Each metropolis I’ve been in, I’ve at all times labored in the neighborhood and executed what I can to assist make that metropolis, that group a greater place.”

There’s no denying Kane’s pedigree on the ice. He’s bought 506 factors in 769 video games. However Kane has frequently generated headlines for the mistaken causes.

In 2021-22, he was suspended 21 video games by the NHL for violating COVID-19 protocols. He was investigated by the league for one more alleged violation this season that concluded earlier this week, with the league stating there was not enough proof to conclude Kane “knowingly made misrepresentations relating to his COVID-19 standing or check ends in connection along with his worldwide journey.”

Kane declared chapter in 2021, with greater than US$26 million in money owed. He’s publicly admitted he has a playing challenge, has seen a therapist for that, however has repeatedly denied that he wager on or influenced NHL video games.

New addition to the Edmonton Oilers Evander Kane speaks to media in Edmonton, Friday, Jan. 28, 2022.

“I take accountability for issues I’ve executed mistaken,” Kane mentioned. “However I’m positively not taking accountability for issues I haven’t executed…

“It’s humorous that folks assume that I'm going to come back in, like some child on the playground, and disrupt every part. That’s simply not the case. I’ve had a number of expertise on and off the ice, I’ve been on this league a very long time, and I attempt to share these experiences with my workforce, and attempt to assist them forestall making the identical errors that I've.”

Oilers president of hockey operations and normal supervisor Ken Holland mentioned, after talking with Kane by way of Zoom shortly after his dismissal from the Sharks, he started doing his homework. Would Kane be a match?

“I talked to individuals in our group, I talked to individuals outdoors the group,” mentioned Holland. “In the long run, you’re speaking about chemistry. In relation to his expertise, his ability set, clearly he’s a really, very proficient participant that’s going to make us higher.”

Holland, coach Dave Tippett and Kane had dinner in Vancouver earlier this week, when the Oilers had been within the metropolis to play the Canucks. They met for 2 and a half hours.

“I left that dinner feeling that Evander can be an actual optimistic addition to our hockey workforce,” Holland mentioned.

Kane is predicted to make his Oilers debut when the workforce faces Montreal Saturday evening.

He mentioned “fairly just a few groups” confirmed curiosity in signing him after he and the Sharks parted methods.

“I needed to decide that was going to be the perfect for me, and people groups continued to dwindle down, and we bought to a quantity the place Edmonton was clearly within the combine,” Kane mentioned. “The extra conversations we had, the additional the method continued. It simply turned increasingly evident that this was the perfect match for me.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first printed Jan. 28, 2022.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post