/https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thespec/news/council/2022/01/19/hamilton-municipal-2022-election-keanin-loomis-mayoral-candidate/keanin_loomis.jpg)
Longtime chamber of commerce head Keanin Loomis says he'll be a part of the race to grow to be Hamilton’s subsequent mayor.
Loomis, who turns 47 subsequent week, introduced Wednesday he will probably be resigning as president of the town’s most important enterprise advocacy group as of March 4.
He’ll throw his hat within the ring for council’s prime job as soon as the nomination interval for the Oct. 24 election opens in spring. “I’m prepared to maneuver on to a brand new problem — and I’ve determined to tackle the largest problem of my life,” stated Loomis, who can also be a board member with the Hamilton-Oshawa Port Authority.
“There's a enormous want for change on this neighborhood. I really feel like I’m the very best individual to steer that change.”
The chamber will begin a “nationwide search” for a successor, stated board chair Louis Grilli, who praised Loomis for re-establishing the 176-year-old group as a “related, fashionable pillar establishment in our neighborhood” over 9 years as CEO.
Chief working officer Marie Nash will step in as interim chamber head till a everlasting successor is discovered.
This will probably be a primary run for elected workplace for Loomis, a former Washington, D.C., lawyer and twin citizen. No first-time political candidate has gained a prime council job in Hamilton since earlier than amalgamation – however on Twitter, Loomis argued that’s not a drawback.
“Oh, I’ve gained plenty of political expertise, particularly on this job,” he stated in response to a publish about Hamilton voters’ historical past of electing mayors they already know. “I’ve simply by no means been a politician.”
Native grassroots group IELECT, which is within the midst of a marketing campaign urging voters to spur large-scale turnover on council, retweeted responses to Loomis’ Twitter announcement of his mayoral bid and wished him luck.
Loomis’ early announcement confirms a identified identify in a 2022 mayoral race that has to date featured largely rumoured candidates. Previous candidate George Rusich, who garnered round 2,200 votes in 2018, has additionally stated he'll run once more.
Present Mayor Fred Eisenberger lately instructed The Spectator he has not decided on whether or not to hunt a fourth time period, however added, “I'd not wager towards it!”
Former mayor and Liberal MP Bob Bratina additionally lately instructed The Spectator he's mulling one other run on the mayor’s chair and expects to resolve by the top of the month.
Eisenberger has pushed to make the town’s contentious, off-and-on-again mild rail transit line a actuality, whereas Bratina vocally opposes LRT — even quitting as Liberal MP over his authorities’s help for the $3.4-billion undertaking.
Loomis argued he efficiently championed LRT by means of the chamber to the federal authorities, which stepped in final yr to assist resurrect the undertaking. “LRT development goes to be a serious undertaking for the town,” he stated. “I feel I’m the individual greatest positioned to steer the town by means of that course of.”
The self-described “radical average” stated he's happy with his chamber work on progressive points like speedy transit, legalized marijuana gross sales in Hamilton and a push for primary revenue pilot tasks throughout Canada.
However Loomis has additionally fielded criticism over the chamber’s help for a proposed enlargement of Hamilton’s city boundary to accomodate extra housing on farmland.
He stated in an interview his private opinion “might not be the identical” because the chamber’s advocacy on the contentious city progress plan. “I’m prepared to take heed to all sides to formulate ... a stance on that situation.”
Loomis listed LRT, homelessness and pandemic restoration as points within the eventual marketing campaign.