MONTREAL — On a stage laid out immediately onto the Bell Centre ice, the Montreal Canadiens launched newly employed normal supervisor Kent Hughes on Wednesday afternoon.
The Beaconsfield, Que. native signed a five-year deal to staff up with government vp of hockey operations Jeff Gorton and change into the 18th GM in Habs historical past. The previous sports activities agent is abandoning his agency Quartexx Administration, which he joined in 2016, in assist finish the struggles of his hometown hockey staff and construct a winner.
“Previously, Jeff and I spoke about the potential of becoming a member of the New York Rangers however these discussions didn’t final very lengthy,” mentioned Hughes, referring to Gorton’s previous position as GM of the Broadway Blueshirts. “I nonetheless had work to do within the sports activities agent world however this time it was Montreal. It’s town I grew up in and it’s probably the most adorned franchise in hockey historical past.”
Hughes credit pal and present Minnesota Wild normal supervisor Invoice Guerin for talking with him as he mulled over the potential of being Montreal’s subsequent GM.
“He known as me to debate the choice and informed me: ‘Kent, there’s the New York Yankees, there’s the Dallas Cowboys and there’s the Montreal Canadiens. You haven't any resolution to make,’” Hughes mentioned.
Each Gorton and Hughes lived in Boston for prolonged durations of time. Gorton, a Massachusetts native, rose by means of the ranks within the Bruins entrance workplace. After learning in america, Hughes stayed in Beantown to additional his agent profession. They have been launched to one another when negotiating Patrice Bergeron’s entry-level contract with the Bruins.
Nevertheless, Gorton was steadfast in saying that the Canadiens didn’t select Hughes due to their relationship.
“No offence however Kent isn't my finest pal,” Gorton mentioned. “I simply admired him as a hockey individual.”
Canadiens president and CEO Geoff Molson added that the hiring course of, which additionally included former captain and GM Bob Gainey and minority proprietor Micheal Andlauer, didn’t have a favorite from the beginning.
“Jeff and I spoke on Sunday morning. I spoke first to provide my choice for Kent and he had the identical so we went again to the committee and we have been all aligned,” Molson mentioned.
Whereas some folks suppose he's a rent with outside-the-box concepts, Hughes doesn’t consider himself as such. As a former agent, Hughes is assured in his negotiating capacity however needed everybody to know that isn’t the one asset in his device shed. He pinpointed superior analytics and understanding how his gamers carry out as essential values.
“In fact I do know what a participant and an agent thinks and that shall be a bonus for us,” Hughes mentioned. “But it surely’s extra about my hockey facet. I spent a whole lot of time scouting, engaged on hockey expertise, and figuring out how we may also help a participant develop.”
“If a participant doesn’t carry out, I need to perceive why they’re not performing.”
Hughes will fly to Las Vegas to comply with the staff within the subsequent few days. He additionally hopes to sit down down with head coach Dominique Ducharme as they determine the way forward for the staff.
“I actually have beliefs about what a modern-day coach ought to be or have by way of qualities,” Hughes mentioned. “I’m anxious to talk to Dom and be taught extra about him and finally we’ll see the place issues take us from that.”
The Canadiens, who fired their final normal supervisor Marc Bergeron and his assistant GM Trevor Timmins on Nov. 28, nonetheless have holes to fill of their entrance workplace with simply two months earlier than the commerce deadline and fewer than seven months earlier than the NHL Draft. Hughes and Gorton will talk about learn how to add to their staff however hinted that sure folks interviewed for the GM job might be thought of
“We talked to some very spectacular folks and realized quite a bit about their ideas on our staff, about participant improvement, analytics and staff constructing,” Gorton mentioned. “It’s been a very eye opening and enlightening expertise and I feel it’s going to assist us transfer ahead.”
Martin Lapointe took over the beginner scouting roles left by Timmins, and Gorton mentioned he's “very comfy“ with Lapointe as a hockey evaluator however he would nonetheless prefer to “construct into that division.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first printed January 19, 2022.
/https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/sports/hockey/2022/01/19/canadiens-gm-hughes-thrilled-to-start-building-winning-franchise-in-his-hometown/20220119180128-61e89f3d4b7e17d75130cf22jpeg.jpg)