Awkwafina Defends Herself Against ‘Blaccent’ Criticism, Quits Twitter

Federic J. Brown/Getty

Awkwafina took to Twitter to elucidate her controversial use of a “blaccent” Saturday. Then she stop the social community.

The 33-year-old actor and rapper tweeted that “to mock, belittle, or to be unkind in any means doable on the expense of others is: Merely. Not. My. Nature. It by no means has, and it by no means was.”

Awkwafina, who was born Nora Lum, has confronted constant criticism over her use of African-American vernacular English (AAVE) in her music and movie performances, particularly in Loopy Wealthy Asians within the position of Goh Peik Lin.

She promised to “at all times pay attention.”

“As a non-Black POC, I stand by the truth that I'll at all times pay attention and work tirelessly to grasp the historical past and context of AAVE, what's deemed acceptable or backwards towards the progress of ANY and EVERY marginalized group,” she wrote.

Explaining the place her alternative of voice originated from, Awkwafina wrote, “My immigrant background allowed me to carve an American id off the films and television exhibits I watched, the kids I went to public faculty with, and my timeless love for hip hop.” She was born on Lengthy Island and raised in Queens.

“I feel as a gaggle, Asian Individuals are nonetheless attempting to determine what that journey means for them—what's right and the place they don’t belong,” she wrote, including that she is “nonetheless studying and doing that non-public work.”

The assertion is a extra direct response to the criticism than she has given up to now. In September, whereas being interviewed on the promotional tour for Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, she mentioned she was “open to the dialog” about whether or not she misused Black slang. In a 2017 interview, she mentioned, “I refuse to do accents.”

She adopted up her prolonged assertion with a pithier one about ditching Twitter: “Nicely, I’ll see you in a couple of years, Twitter—per my therapist... To Make clear: I'm retiring from the ingrown toenail that's Twitter.” She mentioned she can be “avail on all different socials that don’t inform you to kill your self!”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post