Why W. Kamau Bell Worries His Bill Cosby Documentary Could End His Career

Photograph Illustration by The Every day Beast/Getty

After I ask W. Kamau Bell how he’s feeling on the eve of his formidable, four-part documentary We Must Discuss About Cosby, premiering on Showtime this coming Sunday night time, he takes a deep breath and says, “I’m an enormous catastrophizer.”

“I discovered from the film Ghost Canine with Forest Whitaker that it's important to think about your worst defeat,” he provides with amusing. “So I perceive that it’s divisive simply by nature, however I additionally don’t suppose whenever you watch it, it’s as divisive as you suppose it may be.”

Bell, who additionally hosts CNN’s United Shades of America and is a profitable slapstick comedian in his personal proper, all the time knew that the “fiercest critics” of the docuseries can be people who find themselves “by no means” going to observe it. “I see lots of people who adore it and lots of people who hate it, who I’m very clear haven’t seen it,” he says on this preview of subsequent week’s episode of The Final Snigger podcast. “And to be clear, you'll be able to watch it and hate it. I settle for that.”

Even if, as we’re talking, solely a small handful of critics and Sundance attendees have had the prospect to view We Must Discuss About Cosby, Bell has been receiving a rash of criticism from individuals who merely don’t perceive why he would make a documentary about Invoice Cosby within the first place.

“I see numerous feedback like, ‘How come there’s gotta be a documentary about Invoice Cosby there ain’t ones about Harvey Weinstein, Woody Allen, Jeffrey Epstein, and different white males who r*pe ladies??’” Bell wrote on Instagram lately. “Properly, they already made these… and extra.”

The implication from his social media critics appeared to be, why do you have to, a Black man, spend a lot time bringing down one other Black man?

“To be trustworthy, I used to be doing it earlier than I even requested myself why,” he tells me. “It simply felt like what I used to be purported to do.”

And he knew the dangers concerned in exposing the ugly fact a couple of “multigenerational cultural icon for Black folks,” having seen the dying threats that shut down a premiere screening of dream hampton’s Surviving R. Kelly collection or the continued furor over HBO’s Leaving Neverland documentary from Michael Jackson truthers.

“So I used to be ready for it,” Bell says, “but it surely doesn’t make it enjoyable.”

In a latest Time journal essay that attempted to wrestle with a few of these points, Bell candidly revealed that the Cosby docuseries “feels prefer it could possibly be the tip of my profession.”

“To be honest, Matt, I’m nonetheless anxious,” he tells me. “I don’t really feel like I’m out of the woods but. It’s not a superhero film, so even when you adore it, it doesn’t imply you need to see extra from that man.”

“I’m pleased with the work total,” Bell continues. “However Cosby continues to be a strong determine in popular culture, even when he’s not as highly effective as he was when The Cosby Present was round. And even individuals who imagine, like I imagine, that he sexually assaulted and raped ladies, publicly need to be checked out as both on his aspect or impartial. So I simply comprehend it won't be the most effective look to be seen with me.”

Referring to the provocative premiere of his CNN present, Bell provides, “I’m additionally the Black man who frolicked with the Klan, you understand what I imply? I ought to have been like Kevin Hart and selected to hang around with Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson. I imply, I'd love to hang around with all of them, however this most likely will get me additional away from that.”

Subscribe to The Final Snigger podcast now to listen to our full dialog with W. Kamau Bell about his personal private historical past with Invoice Cosby, the ‘Cosby Present’ solid members who refused to speak to him and extra when it drops subsequent Tuesday, February 1st.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post