/https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/therecord/news/waterloo-region/2022/01/18/the-system-is-broken-eviction-notice-creates-new-urgency-for-disabled-mans-search-for-an-accessible-affordable-apartment/georgewhite1.jpg)
KITCHENER — Whereas most celebrated the Christmas season with presents and household dinners, George White acquired an eviction discover from his landlord.
White was anticipating it, however he must be out of his residence by the tip up September — two months sooner than anticipated.
The 61-year-old White, who has MS and desires a wheelchair to get round, has lived in a main-floor residence in a home on Sullivan Avenue for the previous 10 years.
“I’m nonetheless sitting right here, I nonetheless don’t have a spot to dwell after September and I'm nonetheless scared,” mentioned White.
After getting the letter of eviction, the Area of Waterloo rejected his software for a sponsored and accessible residence.
The area despatched White an electronic mail final Wednesday saying the area can’t discover his unique software from 2013. Neither can White, who has not been capable of find his housing software papers since his personal-support employee died in March 2020.
So the area’s electronic mail says 2017 can be used because the date of his unique software, and which means White should wait years longer for one of many 20 sponsored and accessible flats among the many area’s inventory of three,000 social housing models.
“They're contesting the date that I utilized,” mentioned White. “I really feel like I've held on so long as I can, that I've finished all the pieces I can do.”
The e-mail from the area was signed by two directors, together with Jennifer Murdoch, the supervisor of housing packages and improvement.
These rent-geared-to-income models which might be wheelchair accessible are among the many most sought-after flats at regional housing with a ready checklist that's seven years lengthy.
“That kind of unit wouldn't flip over as typically as different reasonably priced models,” mentioned Murdoch.
Murdoch mentioned she is just not allowed to talk about a particular case, however on the whole, purposes that went awry have issues in frequent. The purposes should be up to date yearly, and generally that doesn't occur, she mentioned.
Adjustments in an applicant’s private assist employee can result in interruptions within the course of, mentioned Murdoch. If the applicant solely chosen a couple of places as a substitute of taking the primary one out there, that may result in an extended wait too, she added.
“There needs to be an annual replace taking place on all our recordsdata, and if that isn't taking place we wait to be related once more, and evaluate the file,” mentioned Murdoch.
Evaluations are finished to seek out “a mutually acceptable” date for the unique software, she mentioned.
“As a result of our system is chronologically primarily based it is vital we now have the correct date of software for all of our recordsdata,” mentioned Murdoch.
Since his story went public Dec. 24, White was contacted by regional housing. He’s been requested to make modifications to his software, however wants assist to finish the paper work.
The area says it could actually’t discover White’s unique software of their recordsdata or databases. White says he’s been trying to find it and is anxious it could by no means be discovered.
“I can’t discover the paper work, they'll’t discover the paper work, so what does that imply? That I qualify to be homeless?” mentioned White.
White is aware of the approaching months can be traumatic.
He receives a incapacity pension of $1,350 a month. On the lookout for an affordable-and-accessible residence in record-breaking actual property market makes him really feel, in his phrases, like he’s left to twist in a chilly wind. The flats he has checked out begin at $2,000-a-month.
“No person can do something, and the system is damaged, and no one desires to acknowledge that and repair it,” mentioned White.