/https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/business/opinion/2022/01/18/if-the-economy-doesnt-work-nothing-else-will/magna_parts.jpg)
When one thing will not be proper — it may be in your private life or at work — you need to know that you simply’ve received an issue. If you happen to don’t know you’ve received an issue, you then’ve actually received an issue. And issues are like most cancers: if left unattended, they may develop.
I wish to assume I’m a reasonably good drawback solver. That means to establish and clear up issues has definitely helped me over the course of my enterprise profession. After I began out in enterprise and opened my very own one-man tool-and-die store, I'd hustle and exit knocking on doorways on the lookout for work. I'd normally method the foreman or supervisor of a enterprise and ask them if they'd any issues that wanted fixing. Utilizing this method, I used to be in a position to drum up gross sales by promising my clients that I may clear up their issues. I backed up my promise with an ironclad assure: if my clients weren't happy, they wouldn’t should pay me.
I began choosing up an increasing number of enterprise alongside the best way. I employed extra workers and the small enterprise I began in a rented storage on the nook of Dufferin and Dupont Streets ended up rising into Magna Worldwide Inc., one of many world’s largest automotive components suppliers, with 160,000 workers in practically 30 nations and annual gross sales of $40 billion.
That credo of fixing issues for our clients turned a part of our company DNA, and we earned a hard-won popularity among the many world’s largest carmakers because the can-do auto components provider that might assist them with any drawback.
After I go searching right this moment and replicate on what are the most important issues confronting us, there may be one difficulty that in my thoughts rises above all of the others — the economic system.
The economic system now not works for the good thing about most individuals. And if the economic system doesn’t operate, nothing else will. With out a robust economic system, we received’t be capable of pay for social packages like well being and training, and we received’t be capable of handle our aged, the frailest and most susceptible amongst us, or the poor and the homeless.
What's most troubling concerning the failure of our economic system is the Nice Divide that now exists by way of revenue. The wealthy are getting richer, the center class is shrinking, and the poor amongst us are rising in quantity, with few alternatives to stand up out of poverty. General dwelling requirements for many Canadians are declining, and have been for a number of a long time now. Consequently, a rising variety of persons are struggling to make ends meet.
As well as, extra persons are taking from the general public purse by way of subsidies, revenue dietary supplements and welfare, and fewer and fewer are contributing to it. You don’t should be an amazing economist to comprehend that a system like that may’t go on without end.
It’s no marvel so many younger persons are disillusioned. The price of a school or college training retains climbing, however there are fewer and fewer good paying jobs as soon as college students graduate. And no jobs means no hope. It’s virtually inconceivable now for a younger couple beginning out in life to purchase a home, particularly right here in Toronto or in lots of Canada’s largest cities. It’s hardly shocking, subsequently, that so many younger persons are turning to socialist insurance policies and packages.
I’ve spent most of my life constructing and managing companies, however I’m the primary to confess that enterprise is basically responsible for the state of the economic system. The plain fact is that enterprise has did not let staff get a justifiable share of the wealth they assist create.
So how can we go about creating extra jobs, particularly throughout a time of intensified international financial competitors and the elevated outsourcing of producing jobs to low-cost, low-wage nations? And the way can we create higher paying jobs that might give Canadians the next lifestyle?
Within the coming weeks and months, I’ll share lots of these options with you. I cannot solely deal with among the largest points our society faces — every part from local weather change and taxes — however I’ll additionally put ahead concrete, sensible options primarily based on seven a long time of expertise as an entrepreneur, a philanthropist and a politician. You could not agree with them. However they may definitely provoke your thoughts.