Enduring a brutal assault by a taxi driver, Canadian woman becomes the face of violence against women in Italy

Screenshot from the video of a taxi driver allegedly attacking Bianca Perisa in Florence, Italy.

The sound of a person’s closed fist putting the lady’s head is wincingly audible. Even on cellphone video shot from a distance.

That lady is Bianca Perisa, from Toronto, doing her grasp’s diploma in Florence, Italy. The person is a cab driver. The video was captured by bystanders and surveillance cameras throughout Through Tornabuoni — probably the most high-end elegant streets in a metropolis famend for its Renaissance gorgeousness.

From numerous angles, on totally different footage, Perisa may be seen making an attempt to protect herself, screaming because the assailant repeatedly kicks in a rage, persevering with after Perisa’s legs buckle and she or he sinks to her knees. Solely two homeless males would shuffle over to ask if she was OK. “All people else was simply watching and holding up their telephones,” Perisa tells the Star in a telephone interview.

At one level throughout the ceaseless battery, which lasted about 12 minutes, Perisa was capable of begin filming the assault herself. After she posted it to her Instagram account, and it was reposted by a famous Italian pianist, the content material went viral, with greater than 3 million viewers in Italy alone.

It has turn out to be a nationwide scandal, with dozens of top-tier Italian journalists listening in to Perisa’s teleconference on Monday. Entrance-page headlines. Throughout TV information. “I’ve turn out to be the face of violence in opposition to girls in Florence,” she stated this with remorse, not boastfully.

The town has reeled beneath undesirable consideration for violence in opposition to girls earlier than — two carabinieri (one among Italy’s primary legislation enforcement companies) accused of raping a college scholar in 2017. Florence’s very lifeblood depends upon tourism. To be portrayed as unsafe is disastrous.

Perisa was by herself when she referred to as a taxi round 1:30 a.m. final Wednesday. Entering into the automobile, she seen the metre’s begin charge was at 12 Euros, double the usual drop fare.

“I requested him to please restart the metre. He stated, ‘No, no, it's a must to pay this quantity.’ I stated, OK, I’ll take one other taxi. As an alternative, he began driving. I freaked out, began screaming at him in Italian: ‘Cease the automotive!’”

She slapped her hand in opposition to the plastic sheet that almost all cabs now deploy, to separate drivers from fares due to COVID. He ripped off the sheet and spit at her, says Perisa.

Even with the taxi transferring, Perisa jumped out of the automobile. The cab got here to a cease, with the motive force tearing out of his seat, coming after her. “He actually begins beating the s-t out of me. Kicking my legs. The surveillance digital camera reveals me going round in circles, strolling backwards to get away from him. However he doesn’t cease. He nearly knocks my head off.”

Screenshot from a video of a taxi driver allegedly attacking Bianca Perisa in Florence Italy.

Though the road had been practically abandoned at that hour, Perisa’s screams drew a crowd. No person intervened.

“He began saying actually messed-up stuff. Like, you spoiled wealthy American lady. ‘I’m a part of the Taliban! I bombed America! Should you inform police what occurred I’m going to kill you. I’m going to kill your loved ones.’”

He was talking in English.

Any person referred to as the police. Once they arrived, inside minutes, the assailant was nonetheless there, claiming Perisa had attacked him first, it was self-defence. “They took an announcement from him and let him drive off in his taxi. Possibly he drove different girls dwelling later that evening,” Perisa stated

Bianca Perisa's leg after being allegedly attacked by a taxi driver in Florence, Italy.

The next day, Perisa went to the hospital. She was severely bruised throughout, as evidenced by pictures she posted. However there was scant sympathy from medical personnel. “They stated, ‘This isn’t an emergency simply since you’ve been hit by a person. Go to a household physician. We’re coping with COVID, we've larger points than a lady crying over a person hitting her.’ They suppose, American white privileged lady,” she stated. Additionally they charged her 350 euros ($500) for the emergency go to.

Italy is hardly alone in minimizing violence in opposition to girls. However Perisa’s expertise has triggered large outrage. Upwards of 9,000 girls have emailed or texted her within the days since, recounting their very own horrors. Marquee celebrities have reached out whereas social media sleuths have uncovered loads of unnerving particulars concerning the attacker. They are saying they recognized him as 53-year-old Dino Petrini. He’s alleged to have been a skilled boxer, a member of a struggle membership, identified to neighbours for his surly character and, in accordance with stories, has a felony document for assaulting a youth, the nephew of a Filipino cleansing lady.

Florence Mayor Dario Nardella condemned the “brutal assault” on Twitter. “I count on an intensive investigation and an exemplary penalty for this individual, unworthy of finishing up a public service,” stated the tweet. The taxi affiliation has denounced the motive force “unreservedly,” asserting their very own investigation. The driving force’s cab license has been suspended.

Perisa has accepted professional bono authorized illustration, though the attorneys needed to come to her condominium; she’s been too frightened to step foot exterior. “I’ve been instructed to get out of Florence, that it’s not secure for me right here. I haven’t slept, I’m dwelling on Xanax,” she stated.

Perisa’s been dwelling in Florence for 3 years, first to finish a BA in wonderful arts and modern jewellery making, then staying on when provided a scholarship. Florence is her dwelling now.

An activist group selling steeper felony penalties for home and sexual violence — Code Purple — has issued PSA messages declaring: “We Are Bianca.”

Abruptly and unexpectedly, Perisa has turn out to be the face of a gathering motion and she or he needs to make use of that platform. “My primary concern is ensuring this man will get taken off the streets and might’t drive girls dwelling. However I wish to be a voice for these poor Italian girls who appear to suppose I’m some form of a Canadian hero. I really really feel so empowered proper now and wish to hold the dialog going.

“Name me a feminist, name me a bitch. I don’t care. I’m combating this. I’m a lady from Toronto. I don’t need Florence to be a spot the place dad and mom need to second-guess sending their daughters.”

And she or he’s positively not leaving.

“This man’s a monster. However I’d simply began constructing my life right here. I discovered Utopia. Florence is my dream.

“I nonetheless love Italy. I nonetheless love Florence.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post