Denzel Washington Pays Tribute to Late Mentor and Friend Sidney Poitier: ‘He Opened Doors for All of Us’

Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty

Denzel Washington paid tribute to his longtime mentor Sidney Poitier after the pioneering actor’s loss of life on Friday on the age of 94, calling him a pal.

“It was a privilege to name Sidney Poitier my pal,” Washington mentioned in a press release supplied to The Day by day Beast. “He was a delicate man and opened doorways for all of us that had been closed for years. God bless him and his household.”

Poitier was instrumental in breaking down racial boundaries in Hollywood, turning into the primary Black man to take residence the Oscar for Greatest Actor in 1963 for Lilies of the Area.

In 2002, he was honored by the Academy Awards for his lifetime of exceptional accomplishments, with Washington presenting him with the award, calling him “distinctive.”

“You couldn’t lower Sidney Poitier out of a Sidney Poitier image,” Washington mentioned. “He was the rationale a film obtained made. The primary solo, above the title, African American film star.”

The evening ended up being one which Poitier had virtually actually dreamed of, as Washington grew to become the second Black man to win Greatest Actor for Coaching Day, and Halle Berry cried on stage as she accepted the Greatest Actress award for Monster’s Ball—the primary Black lady to be honored.

Denzel Washington and Halle Berry maintain their Oscars after profitable the award for Greatest Actor and Actress in a Main Position on March 24, 2002, on the 74th Academy Awards on the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood, California.

Mike Nelson/AFP/Getty

The magnitude of the historic triumph wasn’t misplaced on Washington, who devoted the primary portion of his acceptance speech to the person he referred to as his mentor.

“Forty years I’ve been chasing Sidney [Poitier], they lastly give it to me, what’d they do? They offer it to him the identical evening,” he joked. “I’ll all the time be chasing you, Sidney. I’ll all the time be following in your footsteps. There’s nothing I'd relatively do, sir. Nothing I'd relatively do. God bless you. God bless you.”

Poitier later mentioned that Oscars ceremony was immensely particular as a result of it “represented progress.”

“It was an instance of the persistence and the trouble, and dedication of younger folks of colour,” he mentioned in an Oscars video. “It was a spectacular night. I paid then, and I pay now an amazing respect to Denzel Washington. He had taken the idea of African People in movies to a spot the place I couldn’t, I didn’t. And he has taken it there with the identical sort of integrity that I attempted to articulate. So, I thank him for that.”

Poitier and Washington have lengthy had a particular relationship, with Washington crediting his mentor with doling out essential profession recommendation when it got here to being selective with the movies he was associating himself with. Washington recalled one specific movie that he virtually starred in, a film he jokingly known as The N***** They Couldn’t Kill.

“I referred to as Sidney and informed him ‘man they're providing me $600,000 to play the The N***** They Couldn’t Kill, he mentioned in a 2012 interview. “And he informed me, ‘I’m not going to let you know what to do. However I'll let you know this, the primary, two, three or 4 movies you do on this enterprise will dictate how you're perceived.’ He didn’t inform me what to do, I give him credit score for that. So, I turned it down and 6 months later I obtained Cry Freedom and obtained an Oscar nomination.”

In an interview with Selection that was revealed this week, Washington mentioned one in every of his greatest needs was to have co-starred alongside Poitier. “God bless him,” Washington mentioned. “He’s nonetheless right here. However yeah, I missed that chance.”

On Friday, Black entertainers and administrators paid their respects to the person who helped pave the way in which for them. Whoopi Goldberg wrote, “If you happen to wished the sky I'd write throughout the sky in letters that might soar a thousand toes excessive. To Sir… with Love. Sir Sidney Poitier R.I.P. He confirmed us how one can attain for the celebs.”

“The grace and sophistication that this man has proven all through his whole life, the instance he set for me, not solely as a Black man however as a human being won't ever be forgotten,” Tyler Perry added in a heartfelt Instagram publish.

Viola Davis mentioned, “No phrases can describe how your work radically shifted my life. The dignity, normalcy, power, excellence and sheer electrical energy you delivered to your roles confirmed us that we, as Black people, mattered!!!”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post