Simon Murray insists Queen's Park fairytale has more chapters as he draws on magical South Africa experience

Simon Murray isn’t an awesome believer in fairytales - even when he’s been in a dressing room the place sorcery and magic spells had been very actual. The Queen’s Park striker at present finds himself in the course of one among Scottish soccer’s modern-day romances.

Regardless of defeat at Cove Rangers on Friday, the Spiders want to weave their magic in a Premiership promotion push. And their main man insists there’s nothing make-believe about their intentions simply three years after shedding beginner standing.

Murray’s personal footballing story, which noticed him rack up his 250th skilled look on Friday evening, wouldn’t look misplaced amongst a number of the finest sellers on the e book cabinets. Particularly the chapter on his spell with Bidvest Wits in Johannesburg three years in the past. The 30-year-old tells the story as if it’s probably the most regular factor in soccer. However then, having skilled the wild ups and downs of the soccer rollercoaster from the Tayside Juniors to Scottish Premiership, he’s certain to have seen some loopy sights.

The Dundonian spent 18 months within the rainbow nation earlier than rupturing his ACL. It was an harm he feared might put his profession in peril. Months earlier than that misfortune the frontman was within the type of his life .. regardless of opposing groups going to exceptional lengths to cease him and his staff mates.

Murray stated: “South Africa was an awesome expertise and if it hadn’t been for the harm I'd nonetheless be on the market. You wouldn’t imagine a number of the stuff that went on. There was a recreation away to Black Leopards, a staff from Limpopo which is close to the border of Zimbabwe. They get huge crowds as a result of there’s nothing a lot else to do on the market.

“It was fairly an environment and after I walked into the dressing room the equipment man was there throwing magic potion smoke bombs round and burning candles. I requested him what he was as much as. He stated ‘I’m reversing the spell they’ve placed on us’.

“Honest sufficient then! It’s all these voodoo spells that a few of these groups placed on the room believing it would convey you harm or unhealthy luck or so you may’t rating. You see many issues as a younger child rising up in Dundee. However this .. properly it was a brand new one on me. Fortunately that wasn’t the sport the place I did my ACL. That will have been too freaky. I’d be suing somebody if that had been the case!”

Three years on and Murray is now casting his personal magic with Queen’s Park the place he’s completed prime scorer two seasons working, serving to the Spiders make the leap from League Two to Championship. He misplaced 16 months of his profession to that brutal ligament tear which got here simply three minutes into the opening league recreation of the season in 2019.

The arrival of Covid a number of months later additional derailed his rehab and the striker was dealing with a bleak outlook till Queen’s Park made him a proposal he couldn’t refuse in September 2020. The bold Spiders introduced the previous Dundee United and Hibs ace again to Scotland and put him by way of the ultimate few months of his rehab within the hope he’d pay them again in targets.

Queen's Park's Bob McHugh (L) and Simon Murray have fun promotion with Queen's Park in Might

To date so good on that entrance. However skipper Murray insists he’s solely simply bought began. He’s bought unfinished enterprise within the Premiership after hitting six targets in 22 outings for Hibs following a spell at Dundee United the place he’d netted seven instances in 22 prime flight outings earlier than the Tannadice aspect’s relegation to the Championship in 2016. Some would possibly nonetheless scoff on the suggestion Queen’s Park could possibly be within the prime flight this time subsequent yr.

However Murray stated: “Why not? We’re within the combine. We’re doing properly. There’s factors that we’ve left on the market which can be disappointing too. It’s actually thrilling to play in. You’re at all times taking a look at different scores. That is the toughest division in Scotland to get out of. Rangers and Hibs even struggled in it. It’s extremely aggressive and this season is not any completely different.

“However I need to get again to the highest flight and I’d find it irresistible to be with Queen’s Park. I’ve a degree to show - to not anybody else however to myself. I left Hibs as a result of I had an awesome alternative in South Africa and I'd nonetheless be on the market if it wasn’t for the harm.

“I simply twisted my knee, landed awkwardly and it was fairly a foul one. It harm however nothing main as a result of I attempted to play on for a couple of minutes however then I minimize inside and my leg simply gave method once more. In the long run I misplaced about 16 months of my enjoying profession. When Queen’s Park signed me they knew I used to be injured and knew it could take 4 or 5 months for me to be again enjoying. They put me by way of rehab which I’ll at all times be thankful for. I really feel like I’ve paid them again however there’s extra to return.

“There’s at all times the concern that you simply won't play at a sure stage once more. However I additionally suppose gamers can use that as an excuse. My supervisor in South Africa, Gavin Hunt, stated should you cheat the sport you’ll get nothing again. I really feel there’s extra to return in health phrases. My numbers are nonetheless getting higher each week. I firmly imagine I can take one other step up and play at the next stage once more.”

Murray hit the 250 video games landmark on Friday evening at Cove. However there’s a extra essential quantity in his sights as he chases down his dad Gary’s skilled complete. Murray senior was a striker too at Hibs, Montrose and Forfar earlier than having to retire as a consequence of a knee harm on the age of 30.

There’s no correct report of his official purpose tally - however the 63-year-old is insistent it’s near 150 in all competitions. Murray junior at present has 97 profession targets to his identify and stated: “It’s fascinating to listen to about dad’s targets as a result of I’d like to beat his report!

“No person is definite what number of he scored however he’s certain he bought near 150. That’s bought to be my goal. I’ve a number of to go nevertheless it’s doable. Reaching 100 is the primary goal and that’s bought to be achievable this season now. My dad by no means misses a match. He’s at each Queen’s Park recreation house and away.

“He’s been a giant affect on my profession. I by no means bought to see him play sadly. He struggled together with his knees and needed to retire at 30. It’s good to have targets and attain landmarks. However in all honesty I simply need to do my finest for the staff. My job is to supply targets however I don’t put stress on myself. Though it could be good to have a momento of my targets to point out my three-year-old son Novah when he's older.”

Murray has paid tribute to Owen Coyle for serving to him rediscover his finest type after a dry spell in entrance of purpose. The striker went 11 video games with out bulging the online for Queen’s Park in the course of final season. However the appointment of the previous Eire striker sparked a resurgence that helped the Spiders clinch a successive promotion.

Coyle arrived at Hampden in March after leaving Jamshedpur in India. And Murray hit a run of type that noticed him rating within the play-off semi remaining win over Dunfermline and each legs of the ultimate together with an additional time penalty winner in opposition to Airdrie.

Queen's Park supervisor Owen Coyle

Murray stated: “I had hit a lull final season. I didn’t really feel myself, didn’t really feel pretty much as good or as match as I had performed beforehand. Then the gaffer got here in and he simply instilled perception and positivity proper again into me. He informed me to recollect the nice profession I’d had and what I used to be able to.

“I nonetheless suppose there’s extra to return. He’s bought me lots fitter, the coaching has made me sharper. I’ve gone up the degrees beneath Owen. He’s the type of supervisor I’ve at all times appreciated. He’s a motivator who will get the very best out his gamers.

“He tells you the reality and what you'll want to hear, no sugar-coating. It 100 per cent helps that he was a striker. We're thrilling going ahead, now we have good attacking gamers and are at all times enjoying on the entrance foot making an attempt to get ahead.

“I’ve at all times been good working in behind and excessive depth stuff however he’s additionally bought me to enhance the fundamentals like my maintain up play. It’s all about instilling that constructive mindset coming off the again of a severe harm and hopefully making an attempt to get again to my finest.”

READ NEXT

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post